Leak Assessment, Cascade LE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EmberEnergy

Aug 18, 2021
Maryland
Hi All,

Does anyone have any tips or checks for identifying and fixing a leak in my setup?

After doing my two test burns (used stove's already broken in), I kept smelling emissions, faintly, and it was hours after the last time I opened the door. CO alarms on the ceiling have been silent. I was able to smell faint emissions from between the top of the stove and the block-off plate. I can't see any smoke. Space is tight and during install, I needed to remove the stove collar and assemble the stove collar, the appliance adapter, and the liner, then pull it all down by the collar and bolt it down to the stove. The adapter looks not perfectly seated so I'll try to tweak it and hopefully the adapter tip didn't get bent. The lighter test near the seams don't pull the flame in. The whole air pathway should be under a solid negative pressure especially when running hot I'd think so not sure why even if something were to have a small gap, it would leak out.

PXL_20220106_154147999.jpg

Thanks,

Background stats/info:
  • Used (previous owner used for a year) Kuma Cascade LE insert.
  • Two 1/3 capacity loads and ran on high for a few hours each, everything went pretty smoothly
  • Hybrid 304 pre-insulated liner and the draft seems stellar to me before and after the stove was hooked up - it can almost hold a 6-inch piece of cardboard box to it when the temperature difference b/t house and outside is 30deg or more
  • Masonry Chimney is 15ft from stove to top cap and base of chimney is enclosed by garage

Glue on the label still burning off?

Reactions: EmberEnergy
Are you smelling wood smoke or just smoke. I get a smell, not wood smoke though, on the first two or so hot burns of the year. All the dust that has accumulated during the off season get burned off. I am assuming the previous owner used it enough to bake on the paint. I’m on my 10+ load in a new insert and I still am getting the new paint baking smell. Faint now though.

Reactions: EmberEnergy
The first burn had more of a "hot dusty metal, with a hint of chemical" and I figured it might be seasonal break-in like dust and maybe liner and block-off insulation (roxul) getting exposed to heat the first time.

I was thinking maybe the label residue as well. It just seems to have that clean burning wood ember smell to it.

So far it's not tapping straight so may need to remove screws,,, I'm hesitant cause this thing was a bear to get in place. Many "serenity now"s were exclaimed.

Well I removed the screws joining the collar and the appliance connector and tried to re-seat into the collar. Mildly better, but still looks at a slight angle.

3rd burns a charm - I wasn't able to perceive any exhaust or other odors.

Reactions: EbS-P and moresnow