Leaking power washer gas tank permanently installed??!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's probably an exercise in futility, but I got after it again today. I followed the internet advice of tapping the lugs, and by God, it worked!! It was still a flat-by-flat war for the first 3-4 revolutions, but out they came.

It wasn't leaking at the seam, but had a hairline crack near a standoff. The gas was wicking around via the seam and making it look like the seam was leaking.

I used a soldering iron to smooth over the cracks, but figured out the tank was getting thin, and I needed some donor material. I was able to melt off some of the flange that must be to catch gas in overpours from hitting the engine, and apply that to add material.

The tank passed a static leak test pretty quickly. Then I balanced some water in the flange, covered the gas outlet and blew in the top. Saw two patches of tiny bubbles. Had to hit the tank three more times before they got so small I no longer cared if I fixed them or not!! Glad this isn't my day job!!

The naked stud.
DSCN1204.JPG

This is a socket that fit over the top to protect the threads for a few taps.
DSCN1203.JPG

Here's the hairline crack. And it was in the exact same place as a video I found detailing this same repair. That guy used JB Weld but never reported back if it lasted.
DSCN1208.JPG

The 99.8% repaired tank.
DSCN1210.JPG

This is where I got the donor material.
DSCN1212.JPG

Anyway, it's lame that the tank cracked, the studs were Loctite'd in place, and the replacement tank is $70. There's a similar tank for sale as low as $27, but that one is not this one. Of course it won't last, but now I know the game I'm in. It's so annoying that whoever made the decision to make a worse product is buying a 50' yacht, and I'll be doggoned if I'm going to help him pay for it!! :cool:

Late to the party but we should all remember that just because there is something on those threads that is red, does not mean that it is red loktite. As in, they just put some red goop on those threads. Loktite also makes some red goop that must be heated for removal.

That stuff might have been soft like pipe dope.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Whatever it was, it put up a fight! ;lol

Put the tank back on today and ran the machine. I filled up the throat of the tank to get above the repaired(?) crack.

Short story is there's still gas coming out. But I think the first part of it was gas coming out of the gas cap!! Maybe they have to let air in, so the inverse applies.

With the stuff back on to make the engine start, the hairline crack is nearly invisible. I could NOT confirm that it was leaking. There was a spot on the seam of the tank that was bubbling, and I couldn't confirm that gas was wicking from the from the covered side to the outside, but I never saw any leaks there during testing. Crazy.

Well, live and learn. At least I know the game I'm in. Worst case is fill the tank up halfway and run for 20 minutes instead of 40.

Would it be easier just to add a second gas tank and not use the original?

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Would it be easier just to add a second gas tank and not use the original?

You've got me thinking... I might use an IV bag. Hmmm.
Motion_Pro_Auxiliary_Fuel_Tank_detail.jpg

the studs come out, locktited as mentioned.

on Hondas usually they spin out trying to take the shroud off, by accident. just a different headache.

gas caps vent. sorry, not used to the forums here. didn't see page 2.

did you check ereplacementparts for a new gas tank? usually they aren't *that* expensive.

jbweld won't hold. better chance of a pure silicone "goop" seal. permatex or mineral spirits type silicone.

I would skip on trying to repair a plastic tank, not worth the aggravation and definitely not allowed at work.

gas caps vent. sorry, not used to the forums here. didn't see page 2.

did you check ereplacementparts for a new gas tank? usually they aren't *that* expensive.

jbweld won't hold. better chance of a pure silicone "goop" seal. permatex or mineral spirits type silicone.

I would skip on trying to repair a plastic tank, not worth the aggravation and definitely not allowed at work.

Thanks Wock. There's a $29 tank that doesn't fit, and the $71 tank will fit. I've checked every net source and I do use ereplacements. It's just an annoyance to think of putting a new tank on such an old engine. I'm a "buy and hold" guy and it chaffs me that the important duty of containing gasoline is (not) fulfilled by a safe or adequate solution.

Sometimes it's the money, and other times the principle of the thing, and this is the latter. I hate rewarding these guys for making something worse.

I'll eventually cave and replace it, but only after I'm done ranting!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.