200 Lbs propane tank service? This is what happened to me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bjr23

Nov 2, 2009
Eastern WA
I recently bought a DOT tank, '02; 200 Lbs, used. It still had "some" propane in it. Had it filled and after a day had gone by I went to just check it and there seem to be a small leak from the safety valve built into the multivalve. I thought well this shouldn't be a big issue, I'll just take the tank into a supplier and have them transfer the new load to a temporary storage, change/repair multivalve and reload the gas. Well I couldn't have been more WRONG. The local propane service company's (three of them) either disavowed any knowledge to do that or wanted high dollars to flame off my newly purchase propane. The replacement valve would be $150-$200. I was looking at over a $500 bill if I could transport the tank to them. With the winter temperature drop now the safety valve has stopped it's leak (for now). My plan is to use up the fuel and in the spring/summer transport the tank to a local shop to get valve replaced inspected/stamped and then taken back home and refilled. I just never imagined that propane tank service would have been such a issue, really disappointed with "propane service".

If my recent experiences are any indication, propane supplier/service companies here are no better. I am so glad I don't rely on propane for anything other than discretionary use.

As with oil, I've found that if you can find a privately-owned supplier, you will likely have better luck than with larger suppliers. But mom-and-pop propane suppliers seem to be a thing of the past, in many areas.