Leaky seal on electric splitter ram. Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
The seal on my electric splitter has an oozy leak at the seal on the ram. I noticed an oil spot on the concrete, so I cleaned it up real nice, and stored it vertical, instead of horizontal, as I usually do. The oil oozed out around the seal, even though the oil is lower in the reservoir than the level of the seal.

Two questions, and the first one is the important one: Can the seal be repaired?
Second, how is the oil in the reservoir creeping up the ram cylinder to leak out, when the level is well below the seal?

A couple of pics, from two different angles. The oil is collecting just above the wing nut, in the "honeycomb", in the second pic, when stored vertical.

IMG_20200107_163039345.jpgIMG_20200107_163051458.jpg

I'm guessing that the four castings that are around the ram are bolt holes and the bolts are accessed from the back of the ram? I've never had an electric splitter but that face plate should come off and there is likely a metal cased seal that goes in from the rear. Another thing to try is take a very thin piece of plastic (old film negative works best) and slide it around the ram to clean any debris that mat be stuck in the seal. I do it all the time with motorcycle forks.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I'm guessing that the four castings that are around the ram are bolt holes and the bolts are accessed from the back of the ram? I've never had an electric splitter but that face plate should come off and there is likely a metal cased seal that goes in from the rear. Another thing to try is take a very thin piece of plastic (old film negative works best) and slide it around the ram to clean any debris that mat be stuck in the seal. I do it all the time with motorcycle forks.
Thank you!

To make sure I'm clear about your last point,. I just take the thin plastic and try to dislodge any small debris between the ram and the seal, by using it like a toothpick would be used to to get a popcorn husk out from between a tooth and gum?

As I've never owned a film camera, do you think the SD card from my digital camera would work as a substitute? ;-)

Thank you!

To make sure I'm clear about your last point,. I just take the thin plastic and try to dislodge any small debris between the ram and the seal, by using it like a toothpick would be used to to get a popcorn husk out from between a tooth and gum?

As I've never owned a film camera, do you think the SD card from my digital camera would work as a substitute? ;-)
I'm trying to think what work as a substitute for the film. But yes just form it around the ram and slide it back and forth between the seal. You may be able to use a thin credit card sized card. Like a plastic insurance card or something. Not sure. I always use negatives. It needs to be pretty thin. As an alternative you could take it apart and clean the ram and seal to see if that cures it but by the time you get it apart you might as well put a $3 seal in it.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I'm trying to think what work as a substitute for the film. But yes just form it around the ram and slide it back and forth between the seal. You may be able to use a thin credit card sized card. Like a plastic insurance card or something. Not sure. I always use negatives. It needs to be pretty thin. As an alternative you could take it apart and clean the ram and seal to see if that cures it but by the time you get it apart you might as well put a $3 seal in it.
I'll find a film negative. I'm certain my folks have lots, and I can't think of a substitute that woul be better than the stiff, tough plastic that film was (is?) made from.

Motosport.com

Attachments

• 1611F5DD-D00F-4002-92F6-26F0B2282016.png
    1611F5DD-D00F-4002-92F6-26F0B2282016.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 156
If you haven't solved the leak problem, here's a thought. I can't tell what brand of splitter, but it looks like one of the 5-7 ton units of which there are several similar to it. On my splitter and other similar units I've seen, there is a wingnut that should be opened about a turn to prevent pressure from building up in the hydraulic system. Make sure the nut is open and run the splitter. That may solve the problem.

If you haven't solved the leak problem, here's a thought. I can't tell what brand of splitter, but it looks like one of the 5-7 ton units of which there are several similar to it. On my splitter and other similar units I've seen, there is a wingnut that should be opened about a turn to prevent pressure from building up in the hydraulic system. Make sure the nut is open and run the splitter. That may solve the problem.
There is a wingnut, and I always open it to run it. One time I forgot, and 2 or 3 small easy splits later I remembered, then opened it. I think it was leaking before that. I believe it's just a little ooze from the dipstick hole, there is a copper crush washer there that is probably not up to snuff anymore. It's such a small ooze, I am barely motivated enough to order a few replacements. Eventually I'll get around to it, and report back whether that fixes it.