King Canada 6-ton electric splitter no force

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

belc481

Jun 20, 2020
Canada
I just bought a used King Canada 6-ton electric splitter and it has trouble splitting some pretty dry pine that it should split with ease. I changed the hydraulic oil and it's still the same. I don't see any oil leaking anywhere, so I can only assume the seals are ok. I also have it plugged directly into an outdoor outlet, so it isn't on an extension cord.

On the side of it, it says the forward cycle time is 10 seconds, so I timed it and it's about 12 seconds. Again assuming, but I would think that's pretty close (or close enough).

Any suggestions on what I can look at or try?

It's drawing 24 amps to start, then slowly drops to just below 20 after about 30 seconds and stays there. The info on the side of the unit says 15A (see attached pic).

Attachments

• Photo 2020-06-20, 2 38 56 PM.jpg
    Photo 2020-06-20, 2 38 56 PM.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 184
Does it draw that kind of amperage when there is no log, just to move the ram? If so, something is seriously dragging in either the hydraulic pump or the motor itself. Can the motor bearings be lubricated?

Yes, that's without engaging the ram. Once I engage the ram, it drops to 10 amps, and just pretty much presses up against the log and doesn't push it with anywhere near enough force to split it.

I don't see any ports anywhere to grease the motor, but I removed the fan cover and I can spin the fan by hand without much effort.

Just to get past assumptions, is this when tested close to the outlet on a short, heavy gauge extension cord? Has the bleed screw been loosened?

It's plugged directly into an outlet on the house. No extension cord. Yes, the bleed screw is loosened.
And hydraulic oil level is ok? If so someone may have tinkered with the factory set pressure? Or the hydraulic pump is binding? Bent piston rod? Have you tried calling the factory for service questions?

Yes, the first thing I did was replace the hydraulic oil and it's halfway between the min and max on the dipstick. I did buy the splitter used, so anything is possible when it comes to the factory set pressure and whether someone tinkered with it. I'll check the pump next to see if there's anything obvious. The piston rod doesn't appear to be bent.

I'll see if I can contact the manufacturer.

Thanks for the help.

Those little 5/6 ton models with their hydraulic cylinders enclosed under the splitting area have a design flaw. I used to have one like it, a DR. The problem is that they have an internal hydraulic gasket that wears out, and is almost impossible to find, and a real pain to replace. I spent several days trying to replace mine the first time it went out and the unit lost power like yours. After the replacement failed a short time later, I gave up and purchased a regular type splitter with an ordinary exposed hydraulic cylinder, powered with an electric motor. They do exist.

Those little 5/6 ton models with their hydraulic cylinders enclosed under the splitting area have a design flaw. I used to have one like it, a DR. The problem is that they have an internal hydraulic gasket that wears out, and is almost impossible to find, and a real pain to replace. I spent several days trying to replace mine the first time it went out and the unit lost power like yours. After the replacement failed a short time later, I gave up and purchased a regular type splitter with an ordinary exposed hydraulic cylinder, powered with an electric motor. They do exist.

Can you tell me which gasket it was (or the equivalent to yours) in this diagram?

2020-06-21 19_46_21-Layout 1.png

That's actually pretty amazing.

The group on the top of that diagram, items 90 to 100 is the internal hydraulic cylinder. The parts list that should accompany that diagram should list which of those parts is the actual gasket. The trick will be to access it and get it installed, as the spring, item96, is a real pain as to getting in the way.