Leaving door open while burning coals?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marky_mark896

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2008
Outside Bowling Green, Ohio
Is it a bad idea to leave the door open with a screen in front of the stove while the coals are burning down?

I think it's a bad idea to leave the door open unless you are reloading.

Matt

I do it once every few days but I dont open the door all the way just crack it a 1/2" or so and open the air all the way, works fine for me and only take about 30 min or so. I wouldnt do it if the stove would be unattended

I'm finding that the coals burn better with the door closed and draft all the way open. Sometimes, add a small split or two to increase draft...

on my olympic, i rake the cloals foreward so that the front airwash hits them and makes them glow even more..Then I know that they are burning down well and hotter.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
on my olympic, i rake the cloals foreward so that the front airwash hits them and makes them glow even more..Then I know that they are burning down well and hotter.

I agree, and that's what I've done the last few burns. Turns the coals white hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.