Lehman's Bakers Salute Oven

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harmon

I am closing on a house on the 22nd that is a foreclosure, has all the wiring ripped out, no stove but there is a nice pedestal where one was and the piping still through the ceiling. I will go back late this week and inspect the flue better. I;m trying to get the stove in ASAP to keep us warm while we are fixing everything else .

But this baker oven attaches a foot off the stove I'm installing and uses the heat from the stove to cook. It says it needs supported with at least 3 #8 screws or larger to support the weight of the oven, and the normal chimney draft must exceed .05 water column inches and smoke pipe surface temperature must exced 250 degrees.

I'm getting an Englander 2200 for the stove http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englander-2-200-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Stove-30-NCH/100291302#.UsC94fRDtQE

and here's the oven https://www.lehmans.com/p-4873-bakers-salute-oven.aspx

Ive read this thread about column inches but its still pretty confusing. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-to-measure-the-stack-draft-in-water-column-inches.71170/

Like the men in the above thread I found a rane of prices for a manometer on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw...udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=

does this one for 38.88 look like something I should go ahead and buy now? will it work for what i need to measure? Has anyone else installed this salute oven and if so, how was the install, and how do you like the oven and is there anything else you can tell me about he oven?

How tall is the chimney left in the roof? If you'll have a minimum of 14-16' pipe above the stove and will burn seasoned wood maintaining high firebox temps you should be able to achieve the .05" they specify. These specs are a way of warning you that under the wrong conditions the oven may scavenge extra heat from the pipe allowing smoke a creosote building. I think your money would be better spent on a moisture meter for your wood.

Also, that oven I think should be treated as single wall pipe and installed a minimum 18" from combustibles but if they have a install manual you can download check that, they may say otherwise (if they have gone through the testing.) And the damper mechanism in the oven will increase the oven's temp but also decrease the secondary air in the stove required for clean combustion.

How tall is the chimney left in the roof? If you'll have a minimum of 14-16' pipe above the stove and will burn seasoned wood maintaining high firebox temps you should be able to achieve the .05" they specify. These specs are a way of warning you that under the wrong conditions the oven may scavenge extra heat from the pipe allowing smoke a creosote building. I think your money would be better spent on a moisture meter for your wood.

Also, that oven I think should be treated as single wall pipe and installed a minimum 18" from combustibles but if they have a install manual you can download check that, they may say otherwise (if they have gone through the testing.) And the damper mechanism in the oven will increase the oven's temp but also decrease the secondary air in the stove required for clean combustion.

I will measure the chimney pipe when I go out again. When I wrote the above about the chimney draft and the water column I had no idea of what I was writing. I just copied what I had read. Is there easy way to explain what a water column is and its relation to chimney draft? Ive googled water column and get lots of references to water columns in wood burning but nothing explaining what it is or why its important, etc.

Water column is an early, accurate way of measuring a low pressure change from atmospheric. The measuring device is essentially a water level with 1 end connected to the pressure vessel you wish to measure and the other end open to the atmosphere. When the pressure in the vessel (stove pipe in the case) changes positive or negative the H2o moves toward the vessel (negative) or away (positive) and the distance the H2o moves in the tube is measured. So in your case the draft is notated as .05" of water column (negative).

manometer-intro1_pic.gif

The modern instrument is a magnehelic which uses the same scale but a convenient form you don't have to fill with water.

68462_64.jpg

Then there is no way of measuring the stove without it being hooked u to the pipe is there? So I would have to hook my stove to the pipe, measure the water column, then iff its less than .005 disassemble it in order to put the oven on top. Correct?

The rating isnt a standard number that will be the same across all models (in this case the Englander 2200 )?

The draft reading is the measure of pressure inside the flue negative of the static pressure inside the room and has little to do with the stove. But yes, if you were going to measure to draft before installing the oven that is how you would do it.

I think it may be a good idea to install the stove and live with it the rest of the season to familiarize yourself with its operation then decide if you need the oven next year and you will then know how the oven affects operation of the stove. Maybe even use the $600 to buy a better stove. Go see your local dealer and get his input as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.