length of baseboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixroses

Jan 31, 2008
alaska
I have 6 ft of baseboard in my kitchen area. The temp is usually 5* cooler than the living room which is on the same heat loop. Could I double the baseboard in the kitchen area without adverse affects on the next room down the line( a 12x12room). There is no real good way to add baseboard exept by adding a "t" to the original and running a second line directly above the first.? Would this increase the out put??

How much BB (total) is on this loop? What size pipe is feeding it? Rule of thumb: around 67' total on each loop. Around 600 BTU/ft. at 180-190 deg., depending on mfr. spec. Might be as easy as tying it in series with the other.

If the thermostat is in the living room, you might be able to increase the kitchen temperature by partially closing the louver on the living room baseboards. The living room temp will stay the same, but a higher percentage of the heat will go to the kitchen.

You might consider a kick space heater under the cabinets. They help make up for the reduced wall space/baseboard in the kitchen. It involves a fan however, so another moving part to cause trouble. Mine's just in series with the main BB pipe.

Al

I have a toe-kick heater under the sink in the kitchen. I was going to tear it out, but one nice thing is that when the fan kicks on first thing in the morning, you know your boiler is up to temp.

you could replace the baseboard with a convector for more output.
Yes, the next device down the line will see cooler water.

Jersey Bill said:
you could replace the baseboard with a convector for more output.
Yes, the next device down the line will see cooler water.

I am not familar with a convector. Please explain....
Steve

A convector is similar to a radiator. They are usually box shaped, maybe 24 " tall, 4-6" deep. There is no fan, the air circulates by convection. Some sit in front of a wall, or they could be fully or partially recessed.
here is a link to the Trane models.

http://www.trane.com/Commercial/Uploads/Pdf/1087/finprc005en.pdf

They will output more than a baseboard because they are taller and the light warm air heated by the fintube wants to flow more because of the vertical stack effect.

Another option is to use a wall radiator.
http://www.runtalnorthamerica.com/residential_radiators/wallpanel-vlx-radiators.html
these come in any size that you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.