Lennox Serifina gas heating stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

k0wtz

Nov 30, 2010
missouri
I have stumbled on a brand new Lennox Serifina gas stove. In reading the efficiency rating I see 2 ratings I don't understand them.

one place says 65% one place says 87% its on page 5 or 6 of the manual for this stove...

The 87% is waaay past the 60% rating we have with our old Vermont Castings Stardance B-Vent stove. I am not sure if the Lennox uses a standing pilot either electronic ignition would be great? The Stardance is a beautiful green enamel the Lennox isn't pretty at all!

Any of you gassers familiar with this stove. I can no doubt sell the Stardance at a good price and as I already have the piping it wont be a big job to transition stoves.

bob

I have stumbled on a brand new Lennox Serifina gas stove. In reading the efficiency rating I see 2 ratings I don't understand them.

one place says 65% one place says 87% its on page 5 or 6 of the manual for this stove...

The 87% is waaay past the 60% rating we have with our old Vermont Castings Stardance B-Vent stove. I am not sure if the Lennox uses a standing pilot either electronic ignition would be great? The Stardance is a beautiful green enamel the Lennox isn't pretty at all!

Any of you gassers familiar with this stove. I can no doubt sell the Stardance at a good price and as I already have the piping it wont be a big job to transition stoves.

bob

well in more reading I see there is a difference between b-vent pipe and direct vent piping. More study needed!!

https://woodstoves.net/documents/Lennox/Serefina-Installation.pdf

Above is a link to the installation manual for this stove.

Page nine lists the annual fire[place efficiency at 67% and the steady state efficiency at 85% for natural gas.

The annual fuel efficiency recognizes that, for example, the pilot light is lit all the time, using gas whether the main burner is lit or not.

The steady state efficiency measure how much heat you get out of the gas you burn when the main burner is lit for some extended period of time ----the maximum efficiency you can expect to get from the stove.

My reading of the installation manual is that this is for direct vent installation only, and B vent use is not permitted,.

My reading up on this stove I am actually no better off. I may gain a tad efficiency with the direct vent maybe? I was hoping for some sort of better heating chamber but there is no actual heat exchanger guess it wont work in the way these stoves are designed they sure aren't all that great in heat output either!

So after all the work I have put into the Vermont Castings stove I will stay with what I have nothing gained. I now wish I had just put in a wall mounted B-Vent wall furnace and been done with it.

I am surprised this is the best Lennox could come up with maybe this is why they sold their line of gas stoves and fireplaces out!