Lennox Winslow PI40 Question - plugged auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TRMFAM

Feb 4, 2018
Oklahoma
My pellet stove stopped running and gave the code for POF switch...ordered a new one, installed and same issue. I realized pellets were not filling the burn pot...barely coming out at all. I emptied the hopper to view the auger and it is spinning fine...hmm...watch a little longer and I see a neon green sock! Yes, one of my daughters socks somehow ended up in the hopper. No idea...

I tried to pull the sock out and that is a no go...ended up cutting what I could out of the sock but still stuck in auger.

I have a couple of questions:
1) I hoped the auger would push the sock up the tube and drop it in the pot but it does not appear to be moving...should I just run the auger and see what happens? So far I have ran it four starting sequences where the auger runs continuously for 30 seconds or so.
2) Can I reverse the wiring on the auger motor and have it run backwards pulling the sock back down into the hopper?
3) Remove auger / disassemble stove - I really hope this is not the answer as it looks like a complete pain to remove and I have no idea how to remove the auger.
4) Other?

Thank you for your help...

Personally i would remove the auger as the more you run it the more the sock will get wound up in the auger. You probably could run the auger in reverse with no issues im not sure if it would create a issue with your board? Someone else may be able to chime in on that. Does not look to bad to remove the auger.

Im sorry but i find this funny..hehe.. i guess your little one wanted a different color of fire..

Well thats a good one lol i would imagin that the infamous sock has wrapped itself around the auger flute’s and you will probably have to remove the auger motor and auger shaft to get it out. The auger motor wont reverse with out flipping the coil pack over. Switching wires does nothing. Your not alone. With kids you get stuff where its not supposed to be lol.

Reactions: heat seeker