Let the chips fly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One of the down trees cut up today.
8084053B-F240-4615-AFA3-0B5D67BFD3A3.jpeg

Three tanks through it this afternoon. This thing is a beast. I would even suggest it over the 362. Only a couple hundred more. Perfect for a 25 and will probably pull my 32 and 36 with skip tooth no problem.

Love it!!!

It’s not worth fixing after I tore it down. It’s parts now.
I am still interested unless you have a use for 440 parts.
Fixing saws is my hobby and i live in the middle of nowhere,i would pay for the shipping plus whatever you wanted to box it up and the parts

Reactions: JimBear
I am still interested unless you have a use for 440 parts.
Fixing saws is my hobby and i live in the middle of nowhere,i would pay for the shipping plus whatever you wanted to box it up and the parts
I fix a lot of saws in my shop. Anything with a motor will make me money lol.

A 440 is well worth fixing.Thats a $5-600 dollar saw if it is rebuilt.

I have had the 500i cutoff saw for a few years now and it’s been very reliable other than the electronic water control. It’s not durable enough for what I put the saw through each year. I went back to the manual water valve.

I finally got to run a ms462 yesterday. I see what all the fuss is about. Lightweight, plenty of power and good balance. Very peppy too. It had a 20in tsumara bar. I was very impressed. I am almost considering selling my 550xp and jonsered 2172 to get one. Still thinking about that. Also ran a jonsered 2188 too. What a beast.

Reactions: Medic21 and JimBear
I finally got to run a ms462 yesterday. I see what all the fuss is about. Lightweight, plenty of power and good balance. Very peppy too. It had a 20in tsumara bar. I was very impressed. I am almost considering selling my 550xp and jonsered 2172 to get one. Still thinking about that. Also ran a jonsered 2188 too. What a beast.

I still take the 362 with me but, the 462 with a 25” bar is all I’ve used for the last 3 or four loads. It’s weight is awesome and with a full chisel chain it rips. I’m thinking about selling the 362 to buy a 261.

My friend came down yesterday to help split and stack. Had to buck some cherry and oak to. He pulled out his old 028 pro and cut some of the oak. I pulled out the 362 which I run on VP most of the time. He stoped and put his saw back in the truck. As cool as the old saw is it just couldn’t keep up. I really like a 20” bar on the 362. My neighbor just picked up a 462 so I’m gonna have to rip it.

Reactions: duramaxman05
I still take the 362 with me but, the 462 with a 25” bar is all I’ve used for the last 3 or four loads. It’s weight is awesome and with a full chisel chain it rips. I’m thinking about selling the 362 to buy a 261.
How does weight compare in hand between the 362 and 462 while running them? I didnt notice hardly any weight difference between the 2 in the store.

If you have the budget for it, I think many would say the 462 is the best saw you can buy

If you have the budget for it, I think many would say the 462 is the best saw you can buy
I preached for a couple years after I bought the 362 it was the perfect all around saw. Now it depends on Price. I bought the 462 minus bar and chain for $1000. That’s only a couple hundred more than the 362 so I guess it depends on the persons pocketbook. I am one that I’d spend the extra but not everyone is.