Let's see some wood!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bmwbj,

what type of wood is that? I have something extremely similar in my pile, but I doubt being in opposite hemispheres it's the same species! :)

Apprentice_GM said:
bmwbj,

what type of wood is that? I have something extremely similar in my pile, but I doubt being in opposite hemispheres it's the same species! :)

RED OAK

Shipper50 said:
Here is some hickory I have been stacking this past month. One man working and moving takes time they say.

Anyone care to guess how much I have? I am hoping for at least one cord?

Shipper

It's pretty loosely stacked so that makes it a little harder to guesstimate, but I would say you are pretty close to two full cords.

countrybois said:
Shipper50 said:
Here is some hickory I have been stacking this past month. One man working and moving takes time they say.

Anyone care to guess how much I have? I am hoping for at least one cord?

Shipper

It's pretty loosely stacked so that makes it a little harder to guesstimate, but I would say you are pretty close to two full cords.

Thanks for the guess. I stacked this loose to get all the air to it I could since it was just cut this Aug. I was hoping to burn it by Jan or Feb next year. I am going to build a wood storage next to get my wood seasoned for the coming year or years. ;-P

Shipper

Haven't gotten near as much done this year as I had planned but we should have a couple of years worth and more to fell and bust up this month and next.

Six cords oak, three cords of oak and a cord of pine/poplar.

Attachments

• 08-09 six cords oak.jpg
    08-09 six cords oak.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 925
  • 08-09 three cords oak.jpg
    08-09 three cords oak.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 862
  • 08-09 one cord pine and poplar.jpg
    08-09 one cord pine and poplar.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 815
Here's what I use - Fergie is a 55 year old Massey Fergusson TEa20 tractor which tows a 7'x4'x3' trailer load of wood (~2/3 cord) easily. I also have a ride-on lawn mower with a small trailer for small jobs, then the wheelbarrow and elbow grease for difficult terrain.

Attachments

• Zac on tractor with wood filled trailer 1 LQ.jpg
    Zac on tractor with wood filled trailer 1 LQ.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 878
  • rows_of_rounds_20080901_lq.jpg
    rows_of_rounds_20080901_lq.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 837
  • Rows of rounds 20080901 1 lq.jpg
    Rows of rounds 20080901 1 lq.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 808
Here's what I'll be burning this year, about a cord of red oak, along with another cord or so of pine that's not pictured, hope it's enough!

Attachments

• firewood for '08-'09-web.jpg
    firewood for '08-'09-web.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,092
  • woodpile 2-web.jpg
    woodpile 2-web.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,116
And this is for next year, a stack of red oak, and a soon to be holz hausen of red and white oak goodness!

Attachments

• woodpile 1-web.jpg
    woodpile 1-web.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,171
  • HH 1 web.jpg
    HH 1 web.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,405

18" wood, 18 rows, 16 feet long, 6 feet high

I did extra this year so I can have time to build a pole barn for my wood and tractor next year.

Attachments

• 0906081304.jpg
    0906081304.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,151
  • 0906081304.jpg
    0906081304.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,127
Tarmsolo60 said:

I did extra this year so I can have time to build a pole barn for my wood and tractor next year.
WOW! lots of wood there!

Tarmsolo60 said:

20.25 chords! My back and shoulders are sore just looking at it. Good on ya!

myzamboni said:
Tarmsolo60 said:

I have to give my wife the credit for splitting and piling a bout 2/3rds of that pile. I would run one tank of gas through my ms361 Stihl cutting before work most mornings and when I would come home she would have it all split (gas splitter) and piled. She's lucky to have a husband like me!! %-P

Tarmsolo60 said:
myzamboni said:
Tarmsolo60 said:

I have to give my wife the credit for splitting and piling a bout 2/3rds of that pile. I would run one tank of gas through my ms361 Stihl cutting before work most mornings and when I would come home she would have it all split (gas splitter) and piled. She's lucky to have a husband like me!! %-P
Now thats RICH!

Some very impressive neatly stacked wood. I prefer mine rotted and fossilized. That's 24 tons of fossilized wood and other assorted stuff. It doesn't stack so neatly but it sure splits easy!

Attachments

• 24 tons rice coal.jpg
    24 tons rice coal.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 917
That was bulk delievery from coal country in PA that I had dumped. I have a coal bin in my basement that holds enough for the heating season, about 4 1/2 tons. Then outisde I have a bin that holds the rest and yes I do tarp it. That pile of coal will last me between 5-6 years. I burn it in a stoker boiler. No creosote, no smoke, nice even fire. Light one fire at the end of October and let it go out in May. I used a wood fired boiler before that but I'd never go back. No UFO's???

Sure. It was $160.00 per ton. If I used my oil boiler, I'd spend about $4,000.00. This way its about $800.00. plus it does my domestic hot water. Here's the boiler.

Attachments

• Harman VF3000.jpg
    Harman VF3000.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 861
cozy heat said:
Hansson said:
Heres some wood pictures from me

Once I see a stack that looks this incredibly perfect, I know there is no way anyone would care to see my snaggled up old wood pile!

I feel the same way. I've got a bunch of seasoned, dry wood--more than enough for the coming season. And the piles look like hell. :)
Maybe we can have poorest-looking standing woodpile photo contest... I might have to dig out my camera.

Still working on it... What is cut split and stacked is for this year and was all dead wood cut over the spring. The giant pile of rounds is all wood I've been scrounging off a pipeline that I've been getting in log lengths over the last couple weeks. The pile is as deep as it is wide. I'll get some better pictures tonight. Hoping to get 1-2 years ahead. I just am not looking forward to splitting all of that!

Attachments

• 0910080725 (Medium).jpg
    0910080725 (Medium).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,308
Geeezzz. My neighbors think I am nuts for haveing the wood pile I do. What you guys have is amazing.

Heres pictures of mine.

Attachments

• CIMG2985.compressed.JPG
    CIMG2985.compressed.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,166
  • CIMG2982.compressed.JPG
    CIMG2982.compressed.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,207
Status
Not open for further replies.