Lets talk inserts and whole house heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
I know it is no where near an ideal layout for actual heating but here's the deal.

Might be moving from the cottage into a bungalow. It has an open brick fireplace in the living room. It needs an insert and liner, I haven't had the fireplace checked out but I wouldn't use it as is just because I don't trust it. I own the house, I am just not sure if I want to make it a rental (will put in electric logs and have a clause in the contract that it is NOT to be used as a wood burner) or if we want to move. We LOVE the bungalow. It is a great house. But it is in town and a lot bigger than the Cottage-just not sure if we can make the jump yet. Because we LOVE the Cottage!

Layout/size:
1750 sq ft
two story
brick veneer, blown in insulation and brand new double pane windows with insulation in the attic spaces
still caulking and sealing so it should tighten up more shortly, need better seals on the doors and basement windows for sure
forced air NG heat, 10 year old furnace that I think might be oversized for the house

First floor HUGE living room in front with entrance to stairs and dining room (right side)
One bedroom to the left of the dining room
next is into the kitchen with another bedroom to the left, a half bath on the back and stairs to the basement

Up the stairs you find a hallway with three more bedrooms and a full bath.

Pics are here if that helps: http://thebrickbungalowproject.blogspot.com/2016/11/before-photos.html (needs updating)

I am thinking BK Ashford 25 because I just cannot stand the look of the princess. Sorry, I know some folks like it but I find it fugly. I honestly don't know if the Ashford will fit, I have to measure. If not, I might consider a free standing stove if we can vent it through the fireplace. Looking at BK above the others for obvious reasons.

Highest gas bill was about $200 over the winter but we weren't living there, just working on it. I don't like that though, I am used to NO gas bill lol. I imagine I can't get that there but I would like to get it as low as possible.

I am heating 2300 SF with a Princess Insert.

The stove is somewhat undersized for that job, but that's not news to anyone who has read the brochure. :) It's fine 10 months of the year, and suffers from shorter burn times in the middle of the winter. If I wind up staying here, I may eventually demolish that chimney/fireplace and put a freestanding King there.

A flush insert would not be good for primary heat. Cosmetics and functionality seldom mix. (I'm glad of that, because it often makes stuff that works visually distinct from stuff that doesn't.)

You could put anything you want in there for backup heat, though.

A gas furnace and a flush insert aren't worth much in a power outage unless you have a generator, if that's a concern.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Is there a question here?

Haha, got caught up in the details and forgot what I was asking I guess. First, is it even possible to heat this house from an insert in a fireplace on the side wall of the downstairs front-most room? Second, is there a rear vent stove that could do it if not?

The fireplace is 32" wide at the front but only 22" at the back, an insert might be hard to get to work with the configuration.

Also, I've never had an insert-it's got a little wood mantle now, and a place for a flat screen above. I am thinking possibly it would cook the TV but my flat screen is next to the Republic at the Cottage and has been for several years without issue so I am not sure (it is above the wood box you see to the left of the stove in my avi).

Rear vent stove would depend on the lintel height. As for the insert, we'll need the full fireplace dimensions H&W in front and back and the Depth. A decent sized insert should be able to heat the place for most of the winter. When temps get into the teens and lower the gas heat may kick in to supplement.

I don't see why an Ashford wouldn't heat the place if it fits into the fireplace.

Fireplace size is 32 1/2 wide at the front and 22" wide at the back, 26 1/2" high and 22" deep. Lintel=mantel?

The lintel is the piece supporting the top of the opening of the fireplace. It establishes the opening height of the fireplace. Sounds like that is 26.5" which will be an important factor for any rear vent, freestanding stove choice, but you are ok for the BK insert. The mantel is the wood trim work and shelf surrounding the fireplace opening.

is it me, or would the room with the fireplace have to be BAKING to heat everything else? Looks like a lot of doorways

Well, he's obviously going to be ripping a lot of stuff up in there. Good time to make some big openings in the interior walls of the stove room.

My stove room has a big archways and passageways leading right out to the open stairway that goes upstairs, which is why I'm able to heat two stories in the winter without making the stove room uncomfortably hot.

is it me, or would the room with the fireplace have to be BAKING to heat everything else? Looks like a lot of doorways

You'd be surprised how even everything can stay, when you keep that stove going 24/7 for a few days. The thermal break between inside and outside is at least an order of magnitude better than the thermal break between rooms in a divided house like this. Yes, the stove warm will be the warmest, but not usually unbearable. The largest and oldest part of my house is heated from a stove in my office, which is the old kitchen of the house, and is a relatively small room in this old four-square with central foyer. In winter, that room is a very comfortable place to sit and work at a desk, but would be a little warm for doing aerobics.