lets talk pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mywaynow said:
The main reasons I don't touch it are because I have great access to premium wood species and Pine is so dirty to deal with I can't stand the idea of giving up a pair of pants, gloves and a shirt due to sap all over everything- not to mention my new saw!

I'm finishing up processing some scrounged pine logs, which happen to be very twisted and knotted, and I didn't realize just how much sap was in these things. I cut them very small - 11" rounds in anticipation for a smaller upstairs stove - and I've had more sap on me and everything I own than I would have thought possible. Next time I'll know what I'm getting myself into, but I am looking forward to the 'hot' fires and easy lighting.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and we routinely burned pine. Never saw a problem with it - of course, the burning season down there was only a few weeks. :)

brianbeech said:
mywaynow said:
The main reasons I don't touch it are because I have great access to premium wood species and Pine is so dirty to deal with I can't stand the idea of giving up a pair of pants, gloves and a shirt due to sap all over everything- not to mention my new saw!

I'm finishing up processing some scrounged pine logs, which happen to be very twisted and knotted, and I didn't realize just how much sap was in these things. I cut them very small - 11" rounds in anticipation for a smaller upstairs stove - and I've had more sap on me and everything I own than I would have thought possible. Next time I'll know what I'm getting myself into, but I am looking forward to the 'hot' fires and easy lighting.

I grew up on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and we routinely burned pine. Never saw a problem with it - of course, the burning season down there was only a few weeks. :)
Quiet a culture/climate change from the Mississippi gulf coast to Indiana! My sister was married to a ranger and they were stationed in Hawaii for several years....then transferred to Copenhagen, NY the year the giant ice storm in the late 90's hit. They weren't quiet ready for that...I'm not even sure they'd bought jackets yet. ;)

I've been told that WD40 or oven cleaner are good for getting the sap off of equipment. I'll try the WD40 first...seems like it would be a little less caustic than the oven cleaner. Some of those cheap "5 pair for $5" work gloves from Harbor Freight might be good for working with the pine.

Ed

Intheswamp said:
brianbeech said:
mywaynow said:

Quiet a culture/climate change from the Mississippi gulf coast to Indiana! My sister was married to a ranger and they were stationed in Hawaii for several years....then transferred to Copenhagen, NY the year the giant ice storm in the late 90's hit. They weren't quiet ready for that...I'm not even sure they'd bought jackets yet. ;)

I've been told that WD40 or oven cleaner are good for getting the sap off of equipment. I'll try the WD40 first...seems like it would be a little less caustic than the oven cleaner. Some of those cheap "5 pair for $5" work gloves from Harbor Freight might be good for working with the pine.

Ed

I do know for a fact that WD40 has been working well on getting the wicked sticky commercial vinyl tile adhesive that I got all over my hands . . . and the floor . . . and the stove . . . refrigerator . . . door handle . . . sink handle . . . cat dish . . .

firefighterjake said:
Intheswamp said:
brianbeech said:
mywaynow said:

Ed

I do know for a fact that WD40 has been working well on getting the wicked sticky commercial vinyl tile adhesive that I got all over my hands . . . and the floor . . . and the stove . . . refrigerator . . . door handle . . . sink handle . . . cat dish . . .

smiley-laughing001.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.