LG's or Cleanfire Pacific Softwoods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemistrynut

Jan 20, 2014
Upstate, NY
I'm trying to come up with a good cold weather pellet this winter to use exclusively (temps in eastern NY can get down below zero on some nights). I usually can get Barefoots or Cubex to use, but this year my local Barefoot supplier already sold out based on pre-orders and isn't sure he will get more this year. The Cubex, honestly, generated a ton of ash in my P68, both with the red leaf bag in 2013 and the green leaf bag in 2014..plenty hot, but I was dumping the ash pot every couple of weeks. I did get some LG's last year, and I was impressed, although I didn't use them during the coldest months. There really isn't too much of a selection where I am..we seem to be a Green Supreme/North American area, and I am averse to dumping them in my stove just because I'm not going to get the heat output I desire. I have seen generally positive reviews of the Cleanfire softies from wood pellets.com, and I was wondering how they compared to the LG's and whether they were worth the extra $15-20 increase in price per ton.

I did not see a significant difference in my application. Not 20 bucks worth.
Hopefully others will chime in..

Dan

Thank you, Dan. I may have found a source for Hamer's over the weekend, so I may pursue that avenue. I burned them 2 years ago when the Lowes near me got some in, and aside from some moderate ash (not as bad as the Cubex for me) they burned pretty hot. I don't mind doing some extra cleaning if I can get the BTUs. I haven't burned the Cleanfires and I am hesitant to get 3 tons if I can't get any appreciable heat compared to the LGs

Every stove is different - here both the Cleanfire Pacifics (softies) and LG Granules kept us equally warm last winter, with the same stove settings. LG's produce slightly more soot & ash, but probably won't make a difference w/ the P68 there.

* Don't forget to adjust / "dial-in" stove air settings, to take full advantage of the softwood pellets, as needed,

A co-worker burns Cubex, we swapped a few bags this winter. The Ecoteck here 'liked' 100% Cubex ok, but had to over-fire them, to burn out of the pot. (Deep burn pot here, vs. burn plate.)

* A 50/50 blend of Cubex and Cleanfire Pacifcs here burned -excellent-, and with air dialed way down, was hotter than just CFP alone, and may have been the hottest burn in the stove yet. A bit ashy, but toasty hot. (Always good to have options to extend supply during cold season burning.)

Ask the supplier for a few (3-5) test bags to try out at start of season, if they give you a 'song-and-dance' about bag sales, Thank them and move on, they don't want your business.

We will be burning both LG's and CFP this season, next ton I'm picking up is Cleanfire Pacifics.

I burned both 1.5 tons of LGs and 1.5 tons of Clean Fire Pacific for the last two seasons. I plan to get 3 tons of clean fire pacific because I can go about 5 more days before cleaning. My Haman Advanced is a nice looking stove but takes longer to clean than any other Harman. A cleaner stove produces more heat overall.

My plan this year is replace the pellet stove starter and use oil heat overnight at low temps. Each morning I will fire up the pellet stove before going to work. This will reduce the pellet consumption and increase cheaper oil heat. Any increase in oil price may change this plan.

CleanFire Pacifics are hands down the best pellet I've ever used. I've used LG, Lignetics, O'Malley, and Okanagan Gold. I still have some CF Pacifics and Okanagans on top of that. I can't wait to be done with the Okies because they were terrible. I'm not sure about the other variants, but the Gold made my stove so dirty but yet claimed to be low ash. For that reason, I don't think I can ever use Okies now known as Northern Woods, again. Anyhow, the LG is decent, but I think the CF's are better.

Ditto on the CF Pacific. On my 4th season with them now from woodpellets.com. More $$ than many but sooo much less ash and longer runs between cleaning. I do have less trouble getting a correct flame/burn with CFP's than others, especially "box store" pellets. Had to make some "desperate" purchases in the past when I waited too late to order. Had lazy flames, dirty burn, and low btu's. Would love to try the new CF hardwood but big jump in $$. High BTU's, but...

CleanFire Pacifics are hands down the best pellet I've ever used. I've used LG, Lignetics, O'Malley, and Okanagan Gold. I still have some CF Pacifics and Okanagans on top of that. I can't wait to be done with the Okies because they were terrible. I'm not sure about the other variants, but the Gold made my stove so dirty but yet claimed to be low ash. For that reason, I don't think I can ever use Okies now known as Northern Woods, again. Anyhow, the LG is decent, but I think the CF's are better.
Interesting about the Okies...
have burned all 3 flavors of the Okies and consistant low ash and great heat..
using a Harman P61A,

Status
Not open for further replies.