Life expectancy of the englander 30?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
How long do you anticipate an englander 30 to last with 24/7 use and carefull monitoring of temperatures and routine maintainance? Any idea?

Only thing I have to go on is that the guy that designed it told me when I was down in Monroe that my grand kids would be burning in it. Didn't tell him I don't have any children. I think it has twenty years in it if you take care of it. It better. Like I told him I am 61 years old and had the sobering realization that I was buying my last wood stove. The burn tubes and the baffle boards take the brunt of most of the beating and they are replaceable. I give the baffle boards about four or five seasons before I will need to replace them at the outside. I am into season three now.

Of course you can always pick up a spare whole stove one of these years at year end clearance for the price of the glass, boards and a set of burn tubes and have a whole spare stove. I just may do it one of these days. If they ever start carrying the damn things at Lowe's and Home Depot around here.

Burn it at 900+ degrees all the time and you will probably trash it in five years from warpage or pop a weld.

Well, you can only hope that it will last longer than brotherbart?/ But I hope that isn`t so. :)

<chuckle> that stove if properly used and maintained may last longer than you care to tote wood, when that hapens remember we do pellet stoves as well ;-)

seriously, its a solid unit, it should serve you well for ages. i know folks (my dad included) who have 30 plus year old englander stoves and many of them with a trip through the shot blaster and a new coat of paint could dang near pass for new. believe it or not , the boss actually still has stove number 1 built in 1974. we recently reblasted it and painted it installed new gaskets and brick and quite soon it will have a place in the Amherst County museum.

I can already see a bit of wear on my ceramic baffle after 1 season. However I believe it may be user error...... :red:

My question is what series stainless are the tubes? I hope the answer is 316.

Maybe you fine Gents at ESW should start using Inconel for the tubes? :) $$$$$$$$$$

stoveguy2esw said:
<chuckle> that stove if properly used and maintained may last longer than you care to tote wood,...

That will be about a week from next Thursday. :lol:

cmonSTART said:
I bought my 30 used so this is supposedly it's fourth season burning. I can see those baffle boards needing replacement in another year or two.

Ditto.

Hiram Maxim said:
I can already see a bit of wear on my ceramic baffle after 1 season. However I believe it may be user error...... :red:

Maybe you fine Gents at ESW should start using Inconel for the tubes? :) $$$$$$$$$$

Forget Inconel, how about Tantalum (easier to machine).

myzamboni said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Forget Inconel, how about Tantalum (easier to machine).

"Tantalum's high melting point of 3017 °C (boiling point 5458 °C) is exceeded only by tungsten and rhenium for metals, and carbon."

That's interesting, how does it hold up under extreme pressure? Any idea?

cheers!

stoveguy2esw said:
<chuckle> that stove if properly used and maintained may last longer than you care to tote wood, when that hapens remember we do pellet stoves as well ;-)

Yep. There is a 25-PDVC sitting across the office from me that I ran two bags of pellets through last April after I bought it. Of course you aren't gonna be thrilled some day when I cut those three welds and take the base off of it to put it in the fireplace upstairs. :coolsmirk: If I had known the EP was coming I would have waited.

Status
Not open for further replies.