Life is funny..Just like wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

arro222

Aug 2, 2013
RI
So we're moving.
Thought I'd die in this house i built 42 yrs ago. Only way for that to happen is to kill myself first and then make the move.
House just purchased has an old VC Intrepid. I hate it coming from a Quad 5700 for 10 yrs. The space is small. 10x13 living room opening into 400 sq ft space to kitchen and dining area. House foot print os 24x24 so the stove cannot be too big. The house is mainly "up and down"
My question is this: Has anyone gone from a tube stove to a catalytic and regretted that or did not meet expectations?

I would not consider any cat stove other than Blaze King but their Scirocco 20 only has a1.8 fire box. The 30 is too large for the space. The Lopi Endeavor is the alternative choice. Nice and narrow at 24" w a 2.5 box. Lastly, the Jotul F45.

I think all these stoves would have the same burn times but I question the heat output need thinking the BK would be insufficient tamped down simply to save wood.. but I have no clue never experiencing a good cat. House has too many "hooks" flow space wise.
The little Intrepid doesn't do too badly heating the house but I have never met a more cantankerous wood stove with lack of burn time, handles that need to be "moved around" and not that easy to start up with east/west splits orientation.

Is the Intrepid a later version or the original non-cat Intrepid?
In catalytic, would consider a Woodstock and Kuma stove too. The Fireview can be run at very low output. Lower than a BK stove.

Is the Intrepid a later version or the original non-cat Intrepid?
In catalytic, would consider a Woodstock and Kuma stove too. The Fireview can be run at very low output. Lower than a BK stove.
original. But I do not think a tamped down cat is going to produce sufficient heat. But I dunno. What good would a cat be if i have to open it up to get the same btu's a tubed stove would give out?

Don't fear the Sirocco 20 1.8 firebox for consideration. This stove should be considered in any 2 cu/ft discussion imo. In my similar sized home, we have been very pleased with the performance.
Loading, starting and setting the Sirocco has been a breeze.
The Fireview as well as a Kuma would certainly be on my potential short list as mentioned also.

Don't fear the Sirocco 20 1.8 firebox for consideration. This stove should be considered in any 2 cu/ft discussion imo. In my similar sized home, we have been very pleased with the performance.
Loading, starting and setting the Sirocco has been a breeze.
The Fireview as well as a Kuma would certainly be on my potential short list as mentioned also.
Interesting.
I thought physics were physics.
I admit to having doubt how much actual heat a little converter would produce all lit up..

Reactions: moresnow
Interesting.
I thought physics were physics.
I admit to having doubt how much actual heat a little converter would produce all lit up..
Same combustor as the larger Princess model. Same function, operation, maintenance etc. as the rest of the models. Simply smaller outside dimensions and internal dimensions as well. This stove will function as advertised. Through your research feel free to pry with any questions. Good luck and happy shopping!

Same combustor as the larger Princess model. Same function, operation, maintenance etc. as the rest of the models. Simply smaller outside dimensions and internal dimensions as well. This stove will function as advertised. Through your research feel free to pry with any questions. Good luck and happy shopping!
Phew...$500 for the cat on the Scirocco!

Phew...$500 for the cat on the Scirocco!
?
$220 for the ceramic. I've used the steel as well $259. Sold on the ceramic hands down. For what it's worth!

Reactions: Highbeam
?
$220 for the ceramic. I've used the steel as well $259. Sold on the ceramic hands down. For what it's worth!

Thats more manageable.
Got my price from a place called "Stove and Grill Parts for Less"
I wonder what their "less" applied to.
Thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: moresnow
original. But I do not think a tamped down cat is going to produce sufficient heat. But I dunno. What good would a cat be if i have to open it up to get the same btu's a tubed stove would give out?
In that circumstance the difference becomes moot. However. earlier it was said the Intrepid was doing a decent job. This indicates to me that a lot of the time the cat stove would not be stressed or working hard to match the Intrepid. If so, the benefit is a longer burn time and less frequent reloading.

The Intrepid I's max output is 25,000 BTUs so there are plenty of cat and non-cat stoves that can get the job done. Has the Intrepid ever been unable to heat the space well?

In that circumstance the difference becomes moot. However. earlier it was said the Intrepid was doing a decent job. This indicates to me that a lot of the time the cat stove would not be stressed or working hard to match the Intrepid. If so, the benefit is a longer burn time and less frequent reloading.

The Intrepid I's max output is 25,000 BTUs so there are plenty of cat and non-cat stoves that can get the job done. Has the Intrepid ever been unable to heat the space well?
I wouldn't go so far as to say "decent". It's ok but it quickly run out of steam after 3 hrs. It heats it ok if between 35-40* ambient outside but only on a constant feed of every couple hrs..
A tamped Scirocco is stated to put out around 12,000 btus squelched and around 39.000 on high. The house needs about 39,000 to make a 6 degree difference temp rise. It's gotten to the point for me where 66* is comfortable.
I am unaware if once achieved, what the coasting btu's are needed to sustain that or if it needs a constant 39,000.
I know what a tubed can do but that's all I'm familiar with.
cats not so much.

True, the Intrepid's firebox size makes for a short burn cycle. For a long burning, medium-sized non-cat, take a look at the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 or Super stoves. The Super will do the job well. The T5 has the same firebox, but with a cast-iron jacket that adds a lot of mass. This does a great job of evening out house temperature swings. The Jotul F35 may also work well, but it's a new model so we don't have data on it yet. A friend changed from the Intrepid to the T5 in his A-frame many years back. He told me that it made a world of difference in heating and reload times.

The Alderlea looks like a nice unit BG.
I am not against a cat even if ignorant. An essential piece for me is "north /south" loading.
I would like to reduce my wood gathering from 5 to 3 cord annually and the smaller house in itself should mitigate to that.
The forest around the new place is comprised of a lot of ash whereas my original home is mostly red oak.
So theres that.
I have never burned ash but for the short time I have, ( 2 wks), it seems compromised compared to the oak.
I just don't want to make a $3000 mistake and at the same time, wanting to contribute to a lesser exhaust.
A Regency sales rep stated that "all stoves will be catalytic at some point" meaning regulations will prohibit particulates to around 1 gram or so he stated.
I'd like to keep up with those impending times if so.

It is what leads up to my original question of : "Has anyone gone from a tube stove to a catalytic and regretted that or did not meet expectations?"

Last edited:
Kuma, BK, and Woodstock cat stoves are good solutions too.
A Regency sales rep stated that "all stoves will be catalytic at some point" meaning regulations will prohibit particulates to around 1 gram or so he stated.
I'd like to keep up with those impending times if so.
I'd call that speculation at best. It's like saying all woodstoves will have scrubbers on their exhaust. Not in my lifetime.

I would not consider any cat stove other than Blaze King but their Scirocco 20 only has a1.8 fire box. The 30 is too large for the space.
I assume the 30 is physically too big? If you look at the clearance differences the “no go” zone for the 30 boxes is not that much more the the 20’s because of its tighter clearances.

I assume the 30 is physically too big? If you look at the clearance differences the “no go” zone for the 30 boxes is not that much more the the 20’s because of its tighter clearances.
True. The main difference is a bigger firebox in the 30 series which makes the cabinet bigger. The heat output is close to the same.

I assume the 30 is physically too big?
Yes
Even the 20 is on the ragged edge of fitting at 25" wide. Plus I checked all over and no one has this stove it being "sold out" for now.
The problem is when they built this house, they tucked the hearth in the corner.
Small rooms create small corners.
There presides a rumor that the Lopi Endeavor is being discontinued but that stove would have fit pretty well visually at 24" wide.
Hope Travis comes out w a catalytic for this.
That would be the Goldilocks stove.

The Pacific Energy Super and the Regency 2450 are 24" wide. The Jotul F45v2 is 22.25" wide.

A 10x13 stove room is really small, not sure I’d go with a 2 cu ft fire box unless you can establish some good air flow to get that heat out. I have the F45 in a corner install and it has a narrow small foot print for a 2.4 cu ft firebox stove. The F35 is a bit smaller at 1.5 cu ft I believe and you may want to take a look at that.

Maybe the F45 is a good choice with the cast iron cladding softening the output. You have a bit more firebox for the really cold nights, and most of the time you can just load it to 2/3 full.

is what leads up to my original question of : "Has anyone gone from a tube stove to a catalytic and regretted that or did not meet expectations?"
I have and I don't regret it mainly because the cat stove was leant to me. And I wouldn't say it didn't meet expectations either. In my experience the long low burns are great but I really don't use them often. The vast majority of the winter I run 8 hour burns just like I did with the tube stove so I gained almost nothing but now have to replace cats.

The Pacific Energy Super and the Regency 2450 are 24" wide. The Jotul F45v2 is 22.25" wide.
Yes
Took a look at the Cascade series Regencys and was not impressed. The Pro model 3000 series is better designed but too big.
There are no PE 's in the vicinity.

Maybe the F45 is a good choice with the cast iron cladding softening the output. You have a bit more firebox for the really cold nights, and most of the time you can just load it to 2/3 full.
I do like that stove. I am not sure covering up the steel part softening the output would be to my benefit but it's possible being only 8 ft from stove to couch..

I have and I don't regret it mainly because the cat stove was leant to me. And I wouldn't say it didn't meet expectations either. In my experience the long low burns are great but I really don't use them often. The vast majority of the winter I run 8 hour burns just like I did with the tube stove so I gained almost nothing but now have to replace cats.
If your stove is in the cellar I can see why.
Mine is too and the Quad 5700 puts out for at least 8 hrs.
It would blow me out if in the living space.