Life is funny..Just like wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If your stove is in the cellar I can see why.
Mine is too and the Quad 5700 puts out for at least 8 hrs.
It would blow me out if in the living space.
It is in the basement but it is fully finished living space

I ended up w a Quad 3100 Millenium.
Its what I know having the 5700.
lt should heat the space just fine and if it can go 8 hrs that’s a plus.
Anything was better than the insipid VC Intrepid.
Gosh l hate that stove. I dont know how ppl cope with that thing but l’m not one of them.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
Last nite first time use w the Quad 3100.
28* and kept the whole house at 70 with 5 splits Starting at 5 pm.
Put two more 6” splits in at midnite and woke up at 6:30 to 67* where normally with the
furnace off the house would be at 55*.
Rather elated that this could happen with this stupidly shaped house with a crap ton of windows.

I heat 1500 sq ft with a BK Ashford 30. Tried a 20 but when cold -35 deg C it needed filling every 3 hours. The 30 I easily get 5 to 6 hours when cold. I burn spruce and Jackpine. I live in northern canada. At lows of -20 I get 8 hour burn if I stuff it right full. I burn about 6 to 7 cords a winter. I watched some videos comparing the cat stoves to non cat and it seemed the cat stoves should burn longer and cleaner. We have neighbors who run a brush through their chimney every 2 weeks. I clean mine every 2 months and get about aabout 1.5 liter of creosote. The only thing I would change would be to go to the princess for a longer burn time due to the bigger firebox but it's not a good looking stove. I keep the house at 23 deg c which is very comfortable for us here. This is the 3rd full winter here with the Ashford 30. Love it. I have never priced a new cat but it will be costly. I took mine out and blew it clean with a compressor, it was about 1/3rd plugged off but once cleaned out it looked in very good condition so looks like it will last for several more years at least.

I heat 1500 sq ft with a BK Ashford 30. Tried a 20 but when cold -35 deg C it needed filling every 3 hours. The 30 I easily get 5 to 6 hours when cold. I burn spruce and Jackpine. I live in northern canada. At lows of -20 I get 8 hour burn if I stuff it right full. I burn about 6 to 7 cords a winter. I watched some videos comparing the cat stoves to non cat and it seemed the cat stoves should burn longer and cleaner. We have neighbors who run a brush through their chimney every 2 weeks. I clean mine every 2 months and get about aabout 1.5 liter of creosote. The only thing I would change would be to go to the princess for a longer burn time due to the bigger firebox but it's not a good looking stove. I keep the house at 23 deg c which is very comfortable for us here. This is the 3rd full winter here with the Ashford 30. Love it. I have never priced a new cat but it will be costly. I took mine out and blew it clean with a compressor, it was about 1/3rd plugged off but once cleaned out it looked in very good condition so looks like it will last for several more years at least.
I think the cats are around $250 but be careful where you order it from. I saw one place that wanted $500.
you being in N.Canada is a whole nother world for heat requirement. That you’re only using 6-7 cords is remarkable.
BK makes great stoves and I would have gotten the one l wanted if l didn’t have to wait 16 weeks for it.

This indicated a lot of heat loss. Is the stove in the basement? The stove is being pushed hard enough that the advantage of being a cat stove is lost during these extreme cold events. However, if these extreme spells are short, and it's normally warmer with longer burn times, then it still could be a good fit. The cat will last about 12,000 hrs. At 3 yrs, with a long heating season, the current cat could be approaching that time. I would order a spare with gasket and have it on hand, especially if depending on the stove for primary heating.