Limestone fire pit keeps cracking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HappyHome

Jan 7, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Hello, all.

Last fall, I built a 6' diameter by 18" high round firepit out of guillotined 5"x5" limestone blocks. The fire pit was intended to both be beautiful and functional. The stones are very evenly supported, sitting on a 6 foot square of 24"x24" concrete pavers, that sit on a 12" thick compacted gravel base. We have about 100 dead mature ash trees on our property, and have been using the fire pit to burn the waste left behind after limbing the dead trees we felled.

My problem is: the limestone keeps cracking down the middle, or "shards" of it keep flaking off the top row. Has anyone had this problem, and is there a way to modify the fire pit's design to avoid further damage? I'm considering a cinder block or cast iron inner ring so that the limestone doesn't absorb as much heat.

Attachments

• IMG_5301.jpg
    IMG_5301.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_6304.jpg
    IMG_6304.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_6445.jpg
    IMG_6445.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 151
Hello, all.

Last fall, I built a 6' diameter by 18" high round firepit out of guillotined 5"x5" limestone blocks. The fire pit was intended to both be beautiful and functional. The stones are very evenly supported, sitting on a 6 foot square of 24"x24" concrete pavers, that sit on a 12" thick compacted gravel base. We have about 100 dead mature ash trees on our property, and have been using the fire pit to burn the waste left behind after limbing the dead trees we felled.

My problem is: the limestone keeps cracking down the middle, or "shards" of it keep flaking off the top row. Has anyone had this problem, and is there a way to modify the fire pit's design to avoid further damage? I'm considering a cinder block or cast iron inner ring so that the limestone doesn't absorb as much heat.
Yeah you need to protect that limestone. I would go with an inner metal ring. Cinder block will just crumble

Reactions: HappyHome
Limestone is porous. It can have air pockets
& after a rainfall water can get into those pockets.
Both air & water EXPAND under heat.
Probably not an ideal refractory material.
I agree. Unfortunately it was the only material that stoneyards within 200 km of my home could get their hands on. After 4 months of trying, I figured it was limestone or nothing.

I have yet to find something that can hold up to the temps I get with fires. Firebrick is the only thing that comes close.
That roxul board stuff works but it's fragile.