line a chimney or not???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmb78blue

Jan 25, 2017
PA
I am getting ready to install a Drolet eco 65 in my Aunts house, her chimney hangs on the outside of the house. My question is should I line her chimney or Not??? Her chimney is in good condition and was used with a coal furnace prior, which has been removed as of last week. Dealer is telling me that We do Not need to line it, but my gut is telling me to line it anyways. Thanks for any and all help!

What type of chimney is it
Brick ,clay tile ,metal ?
And what size

it is those square bricks with clay liner, around 30 ft tall and I am thinking the diameter is 9inch or more.

Its already lined with a clay liner. Question is what shape is it in? Is liner cracked ect?

She just told me chimney doctors was there last year and cleaned her chimney and told her that if she planned on burning coal this year that she would need some repairs to her chimney. So I am thinking I am going to line it unless it is not necessary to do being that block chimney hangs on the outside of her house.

or option 2, skip the chimney and go with a vent kit and a couple pieces, I can frame in a old window and go up to the old window(framed in and threw a wall thimble) then go up another 4 ft or higher.

which way would work better for this Dorlet Eco 65 pellet Furnace?

1) chimney no steel liner

2) chimney with new steel liner

3) 4inch vent kit with add on pieces framed in through a old window with a wall thimble and up again.

thanks for all the help and advice!!

Assuming there are cracks in the clay liner I would reline it with a steel liner.

Unless of course you can do a clean install with the proper pipe, with the proper thimble and everything. But the way you worded it makes it sound sketchy.

ID go for a SS liner inside the masonry chimney , if the chimney is too damaged to use without a liner. I would not got for on of those ugly exposed thru the wall/window metal flues going up the side or your structure.