Q&A Line Chimney for gas stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Don't know if you reply to questions- but I've got one I can't get a satisfactory answer to. In fact I can't get enough of one answer to rule out the other possibilities.In 1984 I had a LOPI 440 installed in my home- and loved every minute I used it. With the kids growing up- my weekends are now spent chasing from soccer game to soccer game- to basketball and scouts- instead of in the woods. So this year I decided to replace the wood stove with a free-standing Quadrafire gas stove.The old LOPI was vented through a six inch stainless steel chimney. Some (those in the business of selling chimney pipe!) say I need to replace that chimney for the new gas stove- which requires a four inch chimney. The man installing the stove (a reputable- registered/certified gas furnace installer/service man says that is NOT true; that the old chimney is just fine. Is there a "final say" on this? What or who governs this type of thing- the manufacturer (who hasn't responded to my e-mail question)- local building codes- or someone else?Thank you for any direction you can give me. Stay warm!

Answer:

Dan- gas stoves need to use a very warm flue- so it's questionable whether the 6 inch would do the job. If it is a straight up-in the house- chimney- and therefore stays warm- it may be OK. In NO case do you have to replace this chimney...simply put a 4" aluminum liner (about 150 dollars) down the center of it. For the final word- email to the manufacturer .The issue is mostly draft- because of the cooling of the flue gases- and also condensation of these gases- which can cause corrosion of the piping.
http://www.quadrafire.com

Status
Not open for further replies.