Line heatform with soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlv123

Feb 17, 2015
Asheville nc
I have a heatform fireplace that has the vents on the side and was wondering if I lined the side of the firebox with Soapstone, would this hurt it in any way? The goal would be to keep the metal warm when the Fire goes out so the fans will still blow warm air

You will see almost no difference. An insert or a freestanding stove in front of the fireplace is what you need if you want heat.

Reactions: GENECOP
I know that is the best option but we want an open Fireplace. I just wanted a way to keep the metal box warm so the vents can blow hot air without damaging the metal

The problem is that the fireplace is sucking 200 cubic feet of air out of the house every minute. In order to get any heat out of the vents, it'll need thin metal that transfers heat quickly.

I lined my fireplace with soapstone, it's pretty but offered no additional heat. The heat it stores is just released up the flue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 104
Status
Not open for further replies.