Liner cleaning tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. I'm looking for a good set up to use to clean my liner on my insert. I was looking at The Soot Eater. Menards carries them and then look decent for 50 bucks. I have never cleaned a liner or chimney before. I was also looking and one of the online stove parts places has a newer version of it with a more flexible rod for $80. My liner has a gradual 45 bend in it before it heads straight up. What's a good set to go with. Thank you

Soot eater here. Very well liked and respected on here. Haven't used the newer more flexible version. Sounds like with a gradual bend that you'd be fine with the original. They work well.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Ditto on the sooteater.

I like the soot eater. It's all I have. It's really the only thing I found that was flexible enough to clean my insert through the stove instead of getting on the tin roof which isn't really accessible in the winter. I've inspected with a camera after cleaning and it looks like it does a good job.

I like the soot eater. It's all I have. It's really the only thing I found that was flexible enough to clean my insert through the stove instead of getting on the tin roof which isn't really accessible in the winter. I've inspected with a camera after cleaning and it looks like it does a good job.
That's one of the other questions I had. I can get on the roof but doing it though the insert would be much easier

Reactions: PistolPeets
Sooteater.
1. If you have a baffle board, remove it. If baffle bricks, push the middle 2 up and slide them over on top of the adjacent bricks leaving them hanging over enough so you can retrieve them.
2. Insert first rod with cleaning head into liner.
3. Use magnets to hold a plastic sheet over the door opening. The plastic needs a slit cut in it for the cleaning rods.
4. Clean liner adding rods as necessary.
5. Remove plastic and return baffle to proper position.
6. Burn soot in your next fire.

Attachments

• photostudio_1577839389666.jpg
    photostudio_1577839389666.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 109
Sooteater.
1. If you have a baffle board, remove it. If baffle bricks, push the middle 2 up and slide them over on top of the adjacent bricks leaving them hanging over enough so you can retrieve them.
2. Insert first rod with cleaning head into liner.
3. Use magnets to hold a plastic sheet over the door opening. The plastic needs a slit cut in it for the cleaning rods.
4. Clean liner adding rods as necessary.
5. Remove plastic and return baffle to proper position.
6. Burn soot in your next fire.

Nice setup. I just make a mess... and I didn't know soot would burn!

Nice setup. I just make a mess... and I didn't know soot would burn!
Even if it didn't burn, I'd still leave it and just remove it the next time I clean ash out of the stove.