Liner for non pressurized storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermontphil

Jan 26, 2013
Vermont
Just joined this forum. I have read previous threads on epdm liners for large tanks with people who have been using this with success. But as I understand there is not a lot of spec data that supports high temp use. Been looking on line at pvc and epdm trying to find products that have specs to support high temperatures. I will be operating in a range of 110 to 170. Anyone one know of sheet liner products that have specs to this. And of course are not outrageous in price.

PVC is good for 180 continues 190 intermittent.

Like maple said, check with Tom, it's what he does.

K

We now manufacture high temperature PVC liners in house. They are heat welded and solvent welded.
They are not the cheapest date around, but after a lot of messing around with having other companies fabricate for us, we feel we offer one of the best liner choices.

That being said, EPDM is cheap, it is readily available and it will last reasonably long if you keep the temps down.
It is very important to monitor the water pH. If EPDM starts to breakdown, it can attack copper heat exchanger coils.
This is not an issue with PVC. It does not break down as it ages. PVC can become brittle as it ages. We, however, have not seen this in our tanks. Our oldest PVC lined tanks are 28+ years old.
We also double line everything leaving here. It is a redundancy that ensures longevity, although the oldest tanks are all single lined.

LOL, I forgot about that. We made Henfruit an insulated stock watering tank with a polyethylene liner.

As I recall, one of the critters (goats?) was trying to eat the liner!

Status
Not open for further replies.