Liner instal complete. Stove connected and ready to burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Last night I put the appliance adapter on the bottom of the liner and tried to put the stove in . HAd to push the liner up a bit to get the stove. in there is 3 1/4" of clearance between top of stove and opening of hearth. the liner was too long and made the adapter sit at an angle. Also because I have to pull the liner all the way to the front of the firebox to meet up with the stove opening I needed to cut the liner at an angle before putting th adapter back on. Pulled it out this morning, trimmed 2 inches off and checked it. needed to take another inch off in small cuts since I didn't want to go to far. Stuffed huge amounts of fiberglassbatting up into the chimney to fill the gaps , then pushed the pipe up a bit and manhandled the stove back into place. Can barely wedge my arms thru the opening at the top to grab the pipe. Took about 15 minutes of wiggling, tugging, pleading....dang near crying but I finally got it pulled down to the point that the drimping is just barely visible on one side. That means it's down far enough since I measued the opening and the crimps and they are the same depth. It's wet and chilly tonight. But it's only in the 50's so I don't know if I will. Of course you guys know that I want to.

Congrats on the installation David! Heck, I am just 90 miles North of ya and we have had a fire going all afternoon in this chilly wet weather. Nothing else to turn on here to knock off chills.

Light that sucker up!

Jeez...That sounds just about like what I did last year. It's sooo sweet when you light err up.

Been tops of around 58 today here and was around 38 at my house last night...The Oz has been loafing all day. A split of pine... a scrap of mulberry...another split of pine...Hey...how about one of them 1.5 year old splits of oak...that burned about as long as that monster hunk of pine I tossed in an two hours ago....I think in total today I burned about 10 peices of wood...Draft isn't super with temps outside so high, but it's nice to have the stove running.

Same here. I lit up the Castine around 2 pm. Nice to have the chill chaser going. We be burning white OAK. That is no big deal back east, but for us it's the first time in decades. Just had the floors redone and we have a major load of scraps. Got to be careful though, the oak is very dry and burns hot and fast. I've been just burning a few planks at a time to play it safe.

I couldn't resist and fired the Sierra this afternoon. It usually doesn't go to work until we hit the thrities at night but I just had to run'er with the new liner. If that draft in the fifties is any indication, I am going to have a runaway beast on my hands in the thirties.

Methinks David is in for a big surprise with that cat.

Dave going in the 30's here. This is my new rebuilt upgrade stove I replaced my Resolute acclaim with the used ( only two seasons )
Encore which I particially rebuilt Not bad for $500
Well here it is in action once I get it passt 550 degrees I will engage the cat
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n10/elkimmeg/IM006494.jpg

edited; its official we have ignition the cat has fired

Hey, How bout' some one send some cold this way ? Were back up into the mid to upper 80's this week and mid 70's first of next week. :long:

Roospike said:
Hey, How bout' some one send some cold this way ? Were back up into the mid to upper 80's this week and mid 70's first of next week. :long:

And all of those goofy people around there are probably calling that "gorgeous weather" aren't they? Probably happy sleeping with the windows open.

They just don't understand!

BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:

And all of those goofy people around there are probably calling that "gorgeous weather" aren't they? Probably happy sleeping with the windows open.

They just don't understand!
I know ........ Sup with that ? I'm ready to fire one up . Hey , i used to say that a lot back in the teen years , Boy how times have changed. Same statement but now a different flair.

Fired up (the stove) myself lastnight as it was 50 degrees and rainy here. Lazy draft at first but settled in nicely.
SuperCedar starter worked great too! Much better than my fatwood.

Is fiberglass insulation coming in contact with the liner? And if so, is this OK to do? I'm not bashing (because I don't know the answer). I would think Koawool would be better if theinsulation is coming in contact with the liner. If not, sorry and disregard.

Gotta get some pics posted. Congrats on the install! KD

I read the thread you listed Elk. Where do I buy mineral wool. I hate the idea of breaking the stove cement seal on the liner and pulling it back out but in the interest of safety....especially since I went to all the trouble of lining the damned thing anyway.....I will do it properly. I'll buy the mineral wool and pull the pink stuff out.

Oh by the way. I lit 'er up last night. I doubled up some kitchen trashbags and went to the covered wood pile and came back with enough to get a decent fire going. Burned well. Drafted ok once I got it going. Opening up to refuel didn't put visible smoke in the room but I could smell it. I'm hoping that it will draft better in the 30's than it is now so that I don't have that problem. I think I am going to be pleased with the performance and the peace of mind, county code, and insurance compliance make me pretty happy.

"Stuffed huge amounts of fiberglassbatting up into the chimney to fill the gaps"
Can you have fiberglass bats in contact with that single wall liner?

The consensus seems to be no. That it will begin to melt somewhere around 1000+ degrees. I'll find the mineral wool and apply that. In the mean time I'm using the fiberglass. Ces't lavie.

David, you might want to check this out.

http://search.ebay.com/kaowool_W0QQfromZR8QQpqryZkoawool

I have to admit, I knew the answer, I just wanted to call it to your attention. I would hate to see anything bad happen.

If it makes you feel any better, I will be pulling my liner out to install liner insulation. Not for draft reasons, but, due to the recent post I read about heatilator sl300 flu pipe only being rated for 1700 degrees. My bad. Looks like next weekends project. Enjoy your new insert. KD

Ya know, that raises the question of what the heck happened to Rockwool/Kaowool/All of the other mineral wool batts? That stuff is impossible to find in stores anymore. To get mine I had to bid on it at a bankruptcy auction along with the rest of the building construction crap they had left over. Nobody in the area had the stuff or knew where I could find it.

I left the rest of the stuff behind and just brought the one bundle of insulation batts home. For twenty-bucks.

BrotherBart, that sounds like something I would do...

kd460 said:
BrotherBart, that sounds like something I would do...

And if this dealer will get off of his butt that Kodiak insert is what I am gonna do.

Funny, when I ordered mine (in march of this year), the store checked with the manufacturer and was told "about 4 or 5 weeks". No problem, I expected that, warm weather was on the way, I was in no hurry.

10 days later the store called me and said "your stove is in". I had to laugh. I told the sales person "I'm not complaining, but if I was in a hurry, it would probably take 8 weeks".

"And if this dealer will get off of his butt that Kodiak insert is what I am gonna do."

So, does that mean you have one on order? KD

kd460 said:
Funny, when I ordered mine (in march of this year), the store checked with the manufacturer and was told "about 4 or 5 weeks". No problem, I expected that, warm weather was on the way, I was in no hurry.

10 days later the store called me and said "your stove is in". I had to laugh. I told the sales person "I'm not complaining, but if I was in a hurry, it would probably take 8 weeks".

"And if this dealer will get off of his butt that Kodiak insert is what I am gonna do."

Nah. The only local dealer for them has a warehouse full of Buck Stoves and claims he can't get Kodiak.

He is just trying to peddle the Bucks.

BrotherBart said:
kd460 said:

Nah. The only local dealer for them has a warehouse full of Buck Stoves and claims he can't get Kodiak.

He is just trying to peddle the Bucks.
Time to tell him THE BUCKS STOP HERE ! :lol:

kd460 said:
David, you might want to check this out.

http://search.ebay.com/kaowool_W0QQfromZR8QQpqryZkoawool

I have to admit, I knew the answer, I just wanted to call it to your attention. I would hate to see anything bad happen.

If it makes you feel any better, I will be pulling my liner out to install liner insulation. Not for draft reasons, but, due to the recent post I read about heatilator sl300 flu pipe only being rated for 1700 degrees. My bad. Looks like next weekends project. Enjoy your new insert. KD
doesn't make me feel better. Just makes me feel bad for you. Putting that liner in was tough. it drafts like a monster now but it was tough to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.