Liner insulation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Finko

Aug 22, 2012
Mason Dixon Line
I'm going with a flex liner and I'm debating insulating wrap vs. poured in vermiculite. I figured the difference in cost to be negligible. Any thoughts?

I know people are happy with both types of insulation. I used a kaowool blanket wrapped around the liner I put in. It works fine. I also stuffed kaowool around the top 2 feet or so of open space at the top of the chimney. I figure it will give me a little bit extra warm air insulation.

Matt

How runny is the vermiculite when poured in? Anybody know? I see one can spend ~$70 on a balloon to seal the bottom of the chimney when you pour the stff in, and am wondering if that's necessary?

Check about using vermiculite or perlite (perlite will not absorb water) with your liner company. Most that I have come across will not approve the use of vermiculite and it may void any warrantee (they never tested the stuff basically).

For a poured in insulation, the one that seems to be most widely accepted by manufacturers is thermix.

pen

Poured is the absolute last resort, IMO. It's a one-way street. No going back. If you go that route, you better be damn sure you won't want to change the flue diameter, make a modification or repair, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.