Liner question- smooth wall insulated vs corrugated insulate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
I have decided on the FPX large flush insert. I will be going with a block off plate and an insulated liner at the recommendation of just about everybody on here. The liner is an Olympia SMOOTH WALL with 316 ss, 1 inch of insulation and then another layer of SS. The other company was using a National brand corrugated that was 316 ss, 3/4 of an inch insulation and then aluminum. Any comments on the smooth vs corrugated? Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Well since it is olympia and preinsulated I am assuming it is they hybid liner. They don't make the crappy light smooth wall stuff. In that case it is a better liner that regular corrugated light wall. But it does not have 1" of insulation it has 1/2" all the way around. I don't know national products but I would bet it is 1/2" as well. The aluminum outer wall would worry me if there are any deposits left in the chimney they could eat away at the aluminum over time

Thank you. Should I clarify anything with them? Is Olympia a good brand? However, it sounds like the smooth wall liner is a quality liner, correct?

Is Olympia a good brand?
Yes one of the most respected manufacturers

However, it sounds like the smooth wall liner is a quality liner, correct?
As long as it is their hybrid liner then yes it is. But since they said it has 1" insulation I would double check that. They dont really seem to know what they are selling.

Yeah that is about right but it is only 1/2" insulation it just goes all the way around the liner so the 2 layers add up to 1"

Ahh Ok. Should I ask them if it is the hybrid liner or do you feel this is good enough to move on and pull the trigger?
Well if it is an olympia liner and it is preinsulated and smoothwall it has to be hybrid. They have a heavier wall liner that is smooth wall called armor flex that we usually use but it is not offered in preinsulated. And they have the lighter forever flex that is preinsulated but not smoothwall.

Status
Not open for further replies.