Liner surface Temperatures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MEngineer24

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2020
WV
I am curious is anyone has done any comparisons between surface temperatures of liners in comparison to flue gas temperatures. For example, the surface temperature of a single wall stove pipe is approximately half that of the internal flue gas temperatures. Does this hold true for a chimney liner?

I can easily do that for my insert. I have two Auber at200s one has a washer that I can put under a hose clamp right after the adapter before the insulation starts. The probe is inserted through the appliance adapter.

With insulated liners I would expect skin temps to be higher than single wall temps . Would like to hear other thoughts. Probably won’t be till middle of next week when I get around to it.

Evan

Reactions: MEngineer24
I can easily do that for my insert. I have two Auber at200s one has a washer that I can put under a hose clamp right after the adapter before the insulation starts. The probe is inserted through the appliance adapter.

With insulated liners I would expect skin temps to be higher than single wall temps . Would like to hear other thoughts. Probably won’t be till middle of next week when I get around to it.

Evan
I’ve been shooting mine as high up as I can get with the IR gun. I can reach in behind my stove (hearth mount) very easily. I was just sitting here thinking if it would even be accurate or exactly what to expect. When STT are 500F I’m seeing liner surface temps of around 275-300F.

Evan
What readings are you getting at say peak burn before and after turning down the air? I would expect reading surface temp on a single-wall pipe 18" above the stove is going to provide a different result than reading it right above the flue collar, but not sure how much difference there will be.

I’ve been shooting mine as high up as I can get with the IR gun. I can reach in behind my stove (hearth mount) very easily. I was just sitting here thinking if it would even be accurate or exactly what to expect. When STT are 500F I’m seeing liner surface temps of around 275-300F.
That sounds pretty reasonable.

My washer tucked under the insulation an inch on my stove is usually 70 degrees warmer than the stove top until the end of the burn. I’m not sure how much I trust IR readings of shiny stainless. If you look at the documentation that came with them there is a chart to correct for the different emmisivity of materials with the shiny needing the most correction.

That sounds pretty reasonable.
Would eventually like to add an Auber to my setup but I’m not sure how much value add it might be if surface temps aren’t that close with the liner. I’m currently measuring right at the top where the line passes through the rockwool.

7DE90BFC-E97A-423C-B6CE-1FCB4036B23A.jpeg

If you look at the documentation that came with them there is a chart to correct for the different emmisivity of materials with the shiny needing the most correction.
Give it a spray with some flat black Stove Brite paint in that location.

Reactions: EbS-P
What readings are you getting at say peak burn before and after turning down the air? I would expect reading surface temp on a single-wall pipe 18" above the stove is going to provide a different result than reading it right above the flue collar, but not sure how much difference there will be.
I’ve peaked at 1200 peak burn and decided to plug some primary air holes. I can control it it now to 1000 peak then I can cut back a get about 850 full closed. Center stove tops are 600 with the blower on low. Still looks like I am over drafting (primary flames don’t extinguish but get lazier but never the floating ghost flames). compared to my F400 burn pattern where I can go full closed and run on mostly secondary combustion. What I should do is collect this data on my F400. Just needs a hole in the adapter.

4th fire this AM, first with a reload. Stove is not dialed in yet. Have a damper to install just no time yet. The Jotul spoiled me. Bigger firebox takes adjustments. I am under loading and it’s not cold yet.

Would eventually like to add an Auber to my setup but I’m not sure how much value add it might be if surface temps aren’t that close with the liner. I’m currently measuring right at the top where the line passes through the rockwool.

View attachment 285922
To me flue gas at adapter to gas at 18” to stove top to liner skin temp just allows me to compare my readings with others taken a different way. Trying to make make draft adjustments I have no idea what to compare my temps too. They seemed high it was a roaring fire that didn’t get lazy enough but I have run 1 stove that I think is dialed in well.

I’ve peaked at 1200 peak burn and decided to plug some primary air holes. I can control it it now to 1000 peak then I can cut back a get about 850 full closed. Center stove tops are 600 with the blower on low. Still looks like I am over drafting (primary flames don’t extinguish but get lazier but never the floating ghost flames). compared to my F400 burn pattern where I can go full closed and run on mostly secondary combustion. What I should do is collect this data on my F400. Just needs a hole in the adapter.

4th fire this AM, first with a reload. Stove is not dialed in yet. Have a damper to install just no time yet. The Jotul spoiled me. Bigger firebox takes adjustments. I am under loading and it’s not cold yet.
Yes, it's easy to shoot up to that area. Our stove is doing a cold start right now. I let the fire go out today because the sun was warming up the house and I needed to clean out ash. The stove is loaded with hardwood and it took off to 950F as I was getting too absorbed with h.com stuff. Fortunately, it responds well to the air control and has settled down quickly to the low 600 territory.

Yes, it's easy to shoot up to that area. Our stove is doing a cold start right now. I let the fire go out today because the sun was warming up the house and I needed to clean out ash. The stove is loaded with hardwood and it took off to 950F as I was getting too absorbed with h.com stuff. Fortunately, it responds well to the air control and has settled down quickly to the low 600 territory.
I assume that’s flue probe temps?

View attachment 285922
The alarm and being able to read it from across the room was enough for me. spent the extra for the wireless one for the insert down stairs.