Liner/Uninstall Reinstall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Finko

Aug 22, 2012
Mason Dixon Line
I plan on moving the wood stove out of the basement this weekend so I have to pull the liner out of one flue and drop it down the flue right next to it.
It's rigid, single wall 6" with some flex at the bottom to get thru a twist in the flue. There's a tee at the bottom and it punches thru the face of the fireplace in the basement.
I assume I'll remove the tee and hoist the liner up a little at a time, disconnect a section at a time until it's all up, then reverse the process to get it down the other flue (cutting/removing the excess of course).
Anything I'm missing? New flule is swept and ready to go.

That sounds about right if it is insulated that makes it a little more trouble and if it isn't i would recommend doing it while you have it out.

10-4 on the insulated.
I will be shoving my NC30 into a fireplace. I measured and it'll fit if I trim the legs.
I do wonder, though, about connecting the stove directly to the liner. I had somebody install my stove in the basement so I must plead ignorance about stovetop connections.
I planned on retaining some of the flex at the bottom of the liner and connecting that directly to the 30. Sound feasible?
Once I remove the fireplace damper I'm thinking (if I measured correctly) that the liner and the flue hole (?) on the 30 will line up. Will they connect?

You will need an appliance connector to go from flex to stovepipe. Or in this case, to attach to the stove collar. This adaptor has a band clamp on the top side. If much of it is visible I would recommend attaching this adaptor to piece of rigid SS pipe and painting it black, it'll look way better!

how much room will the stove have on the sides and top, the nc30 needs to have breathing room so it can flood (radiate) the heat out, if it can't breath then you may be losing potential heat.

plenty of room for stove to radiate, I think. back of fireplace is 27" and the front is 35".
appliance connector, eh? what if I'm attaching the flex directly to the stove? I will not be using stove pipe at all.

It probably wont fit which is why you will probably need an appliance connector

That's what we did at my buddies house, flex liner directly to the stove collar, it was a snug fit but it worked fine, Invest in making a block off plate to keep all the heat from going up the flu, many here have used 18 gauge metal with roxal insulation about it. The reason why I was a little worried about you stove being put in the fire place is because my buddies is like that, his stove while preforming good can do better, we are going to take the mantal down, (that will expose the sides of the stove about 20" and add height of 30") then we are going to construct a block off plate, we are going to insulate the whole firebox with roxal and cover the from with cement board (stove fire place) and tile the cement board. When we do this project I will start a thread and take plenty of pics, should be a fun little job.

Really you had a stove collar that flex fit into? I have never seen that it would be really loose for pipe then not sure how that would work.

You know what, I stand corrected, We had an appliance adapter, he originally had a small insert in there, the flex went to the adapter, the adapter to the stove, now I remember fighting the adapter to fit in the collar, had to make a few crimps for it to fit right. Sorry for the misleading info.

Yeah, it looks like the only way to get the flex and the collar to fit would be flex going inside the stove collar. pretty sure that ain't kosher
Where the heck will I get an appliance connector on Sunday afternoon?
Might as well have a beer and watch the 'Skins lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.