lining the central boiler firebox with brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamant

Sep 30, 2007
i can get thin firebrick. is there a benefit to lining the bottom with brick?

The floor, walls, top, whatever. i would be interested in knowing more about this as well.

I lined the bottom and the angled bottom sides of my 5036 and I have a friend who has done so with his 6048. I felt that it helped with restart and kept the coal bed stronger especially in the shoulder seasons. The key is to make sure you get Ashtrol under it and in the corners and every once and awhile take the brick out, clean the bottom and check for issues.

Pete

The reasons Pete gave are what CB sezs for warranty...moisture under brick can corrode the steel...voids warranty. Lime can (could)be substituted for Ashtrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.