Little moe back puffs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RippinRon

Dec 5, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hi,
I'm brand new to this forum and I'm here because I just had professionals install a little moe all nighter. Upon starting a fire, with valves open all the way, there is a catenation type of sound and the dial vent in the front puffs out smoke. With the door open, smoke does not come out
the installer says it's because there is a crack in the stove
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Patty

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm brand new to this forum and I'm here because I just had professionals install a little moe all nighter. Upon starting a fire, with valves open all the way, there is a catenation type of sound and the dial vent in the front puffs out smoke
the installer says it's because there is a crack in the stove
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Patty
Is there a crack in the stove?

Not that we can tell. It's got the tubes on the inside that I cannot see into, but there aren't any visible cracks
Can you describe the whole setup?

Can you describe the whole setup?
Raised ranch
lower level installation in a fireplace
majority of stove extends onto the hearth
piped out the back 6"
damper in flue
chimney extends well above roof line
30' pipe, capped at the top
little moe, front load

Raised ranch
lower level installation in a fireplace
majority of stove extends onto the hearth
piped out the back 6"
damper in flue
chimney extends well above roof line
30' pipe, capped at the top
little moe, front load
Ok is there a full stainless liner to the top of the chimney or is it just vented into the fireplace flue?

There is (we have not checked the roof and have to take their word for it) a liner
Ok well back puffing is usually due to poor draft and or wet wood. If you do have a properly sized full 30'liner you should not have poor draft. What temperatures are you running at?

200 degrees where?

How hight should it be?
can't get it blazing because we cant open the vent due to the smoke coming out of the valve
with the front door open, we can get a hotter blaze
You are smouldering the fire probably due to wet wood it fills the box with smoke which then ignites then fills again. What moisture content is the wood at?

Reactions: Dug8498
it's two years seasoned dry wood
there is no green wood
Ok what moisture content is it? How long has it been cut split and covered?

What size is the liner?

Ok what moisture content is it? How long has it been cut split and covered?

What size is the liner?
2 years cut split and covered, it's dry
the pipe is 6"
we are only using 3" split wood
I don't have a way of actually measuring moisture content of pieces
tmep is up to 500 right now

the pipe is 6"
tmep is up to 500 right now
Well I don't know without knowing what size or even if you have a full liner or not I really can't give you much more input.

the pipe is 6"
Well I don't know without knowing what size or even if you have a full liner or not I really can't give you much more input.
Thanks for your help .... to recap - Is there a difference between the pipe and a liner? the pipe goes all the way out to the top of the chimney and is capped off, the wood is seasoned two years, it's not wet, it's kept dry and covered

Thanks for your help .... to recap - Is there a difference between the pipe and a liner? the pipe goes all the way out to the top of the chimney and is capped off, the wood is seasoned two years, it's not wet, it's kept dry and covered
Well a liner is a stainless pipe. It should be insulated but basically just a pipe.

that's exactly what we've got going up the chimney
Then it doesn't make sense to me. You need to get a good sweep out to diagnose this.

Last edited:
Stove is huffing which means it's starving for air which stops when you open door. 3" splits sounds small, like a kindling fire which will require lots of air, possibly more than the valve can supply.

Is this happening throughout the burn, is the spin air valve opening fully? Try starting a smaller fire get the stove and flue to temp then a couple larger sized splits.

Last edited: