little white insect in bark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainemac

Mar 10, 2008
Maine
Hello all

Quick question: what is that little white inchworm looking thing I saw today while splitting?
Was in the bark in some of the red oak closer to the ground I had split last spring 2008
Resplit today to help seasoning for next year ( after hearing you all espouse 'more surface area for better seasoning')
Are they harmless?
Are they going to invade my house?
When do I panic?

I squished them all and neurotically peeled all the bark of the splits and will toss them in the woods in the side yard

Thanks

Tom

Sounds like woodboring beetle larvae to me. I have the same problem, particularly with the Red Oak. In my case it's the powderpost beetles. Google that and you'll see what the larvae look like. Also, watch your piles and around May or June you will probably see some beetles. They won't invade the house unless you store your wood in it. Just keep the pile far away and you'll be fine.

Thanks
There was little white zigzag trails in some of the splits.
Would not mind a freeze for a few days to zap the buggers!

I find small white or yellowish larvae in almost any dead wood I cut. Usually I find just a couple here and there, and they are obviously members of a few different species, although I don't know which species. I guess they are mostly beetles. The cold won't kill them, at least not while they're still hiding in the wood.

Sounds like good fishing bait to me. :)

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.