Live edge epoxy river table - durability?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
Does anyone in these forums have experience using products like what is pictured below?

While I would probably target something a bit more subtle, I love the look of a stream flowing down the middle of the table, and think it would be cool to hide certain things like crayfish, frogs, etc in the 'stream' and then have it illuminated. Im concerned though, does it scratch easily and if there are any other drawbacks.

1677247993261.png

I’ve done enough live edge slab work to know what is involved to get a flat table. If you’re not buy an already dried and flattened slab you are in for a bit of work. The only way to get it truly flat is to use a router sled. I did enough research to know that your first time pouring epoxy won’t come out anything like you see in the pictures. Bubbles are your enemy and you need to know how long the pour will take and what working time you have.

Now it’s fairly durable. But will scratch. I’m pretty good at learning diy skills. I managed to get a 52” Alaskan mill built and milled a lot of board feet of live edge slab but never took it as far as epoxy. If going the route of a big table it certainly needs metal braces too.

I’ve done enough live edge slab work to know what is involved to get a flat table. If you’re not buy an already dried and flattened slab you are in for a bit of work. The only way to get it truly flat is to use a router sled. I did enough research to know that your first time pouring epoxy won’t come out anything like you see in the pictures. Bubbles are your enemy and you need to know how long the pour will take and what working time you have.

Now it’s fairly durable. But will scratch. I’m pretty good at learning diy skills. I managed to get a 52” Alaskan mill built and milled a lot of board feet of live edge slab but never took it as far as epoxy. If going the route of a big table it certainly needs metal braces too.
Yea I'd probably have someone do it to be honest. I thought about doing it myself but I just don't have the time to learn something new and try to nail a long table well. Good to know to keep an eye on the flatness and sub structure under the table. I'm rather opposed to metal legs. I've seen people use wooden before with metal under the table for support. Not common but doable. Also barrels I've seen used as legs.

Yea I'd probably have someone do it to be honest. I thought about doing it myself but I just don't have the time to learn something new and try to nail a long table well. Good to know to keep an eye on the flatness and sub structure under the table. I'm rather opposed to metal legs. I've seen people use wooden before with metal under the table for support. Not common but doable. Also barrels I've seen used as legs.
The supports are generally embedded C channel with screw-in nut serts

Legs https://flowyline.com/collections/metal-table-legs-1

I used saw horses. To save money and time. They don’t look great

To be honest you can do a lot with a power plane and a belt sander and lots of time. Plates wobble in a few places. But I don’t care that much when a kid throws a tantrum with a fork in their hand and

88D2EE4D-FC8A-4ECB-B681-A1A34C648EA9.jpeg F5529857-249D-487D-BB08-5AF7A7CFB7B6.jpeg 206BC20E-1742-45E8-8D18-D69F14E5E55E.jpeg 8DDFED64-C779-43A3-96A4-6346D83FFE55.jpeg E0EC0C8A-F3D6-4FAC-B809-8C852151EECC.jpeg 95856D77-0148-444D-A0E9-3B55167DE954.jpeg

To be honest you can do a lot with a power plane and a belt sander and lots of time. Plates wobble in a few places. But I don’t care that much when a kid throws a tantrum with a fork in their hand and

View attachment 310194 View attachment 310195 View attachment 310196 View attachment 310197 View attachment 310198 View attachment 310199
I can get some nice walnut, oak, whatever pretty cheap around here. A fraction at what having someone make me a table would cost. I might consider giving an end table a go. Plane/sand it real nice both halves, do the epoxy middle and see what it looks like after a few months of heavy use, then decide if I want to make a dining table, have someone make it for me or scratch the idea all together for one solid (and much more) expensive piece.

Edit: Im on a diet,...not really craving much that I would normally eat otherwise. Except PIE. You had to put that picture in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P
I think the epoxy is a genius way to use what would otherwise be live edge scrap. I think a good skill builder would just to do a poured epoxy top (no river)

As I recall the pie looked much better than it tasted. Store bought cyst and filling. But the kids didn’t care.

I just looked at those legs. Those would work! I'd need to paint them brown though.
I’m not a fan of the black either. I’m going to get a set of 4 and only use three (or at least try too). As I didn’t flatten the bottom so it will likely not be level on 4. I didn’t read enough to see if they have leveling feet.

I’m not a fan of the black either. I’m going to get a set of 4 and only use three (or at least try too). As I didn’t flatten the bottom so it will likely not be level on 4. I didn’t read enough to see if they have leveling feet.
yea they do come with leveling feet.
"...and come equipped with adjustable levelers hidden well in the feet."

Reactions: EbS-P