Loading Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
When loading a full load of wood how much room does there need to be at the top between secondary burn tubes and top piece of wood?

I try tot leave ~1 inch (the F3 has a plate with holes instead of tubes), but I have on occasion had wood right up against the plate. The fire still manages to burn cleanly.

Pack it full! My 3.1 cu.ft. firebox is rated at 75,000 B.T.U.'s/hour but unless I put a solid piece that size in, there's always lots of wasted space.

I did some figuring this morning; If I have a three inch layer of ash and coals on the bottom and fill it to within an inch of the tubes with 16" splits, I'm utilizing less than one cubic foot. :down:

Most manuals state to leave a small air space between, but if you reload on a good coal bed and fill it too the top it will create it's own air space in a few minutes as the coals burn down, and as the moisture is driven out of the wood it will shrink. I always filled my non cat stoves full and they would burn clean.

Thank-you all for the replies. Now I won't hesitate to go as high as possible. :cheese:

kenny chaos said:
Pack it full! My 3.1 cu.ft. firebox... fill it to within an inch of the tubes... I'm utilizing less than one cubic foot.
Waddup widdat? Misleading advertising? Measuring to the glass and above the smoke shelf without the firebrick?

I never calculated how much I pack into my 3.1 cu ft box, but it goes right up to the tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.