Loading up an insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CentralPaPyro

Sep 28, 2017
Central Pennsylvania
I bought a house back in February 2017 with a Heat n Glo Northstar already installed. After running it for the remainder of the 2017 Winter as well as this Fall/Winter, I am getting pretty good at keeping the house warm. (3300sq ft. with an Englander pellet stove in the basement too) My question is how much wood can you load into an insert like this? Normally, I put 2-3 splits in it at a time and can easily get the fire going after being away for 8-9 hours. I haven't even had to use a match since the week before Christmas and it has been running 24/7. Anyone have some pictures floating around of a fully loaded insert? I believe it is about the same as the quadrafire insert.

Also, would I get better heat control out of using a larger number of smaller splits versus a couple big ones? I mainly burn oak, hickory, maple and cherry.

**Fireplace screen to keep my toddlers fingers from getting burnt**

Attachments

• IMG_20180108_143304.jpg
    IMG_20180108_143304.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 130
I've found that one or two large splits and then filling in all the gaps with smaller splits so that the stove is packed to the gills works pretty well for mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well first off you dont have an insert you have a high efficency fireplace. Also known as an epa rated zero clearance unit. And i agree with thunder medic i load a few larger splits then pack around them with smaller stuff.