Loads 4 and 5 of the Season - Red Fir Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMonter

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
Hayden, ID
Loads 4 and 5 of the Season

Attachments

• P1010173.JPG
    P1010173.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 411
  • P1010174.JPG
    P1010174.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 410
  • P1010176.JPG
    P1010176.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 429
Showing how we drag the log down to the road and buck it up, plus a side view of the 5th load.

Attachments

• P1010172.JPG
    P1010172.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 428
  • P1010175.JPG
    P1010175.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 432
Bigg_Redd said:
For those of you who do not speak inter-mountain western, red fir = Doug Fir.

Don't you mean "Chimney clogging pine...good for firepits only!" ? :lol:

Nice loads! New side stakes on the truck?

That's quite a stack of wood in the back of those trucks! I don't know how heavy Douglas Fir is, but green oak stacked like that in the back of my old truck would really make her squat! The front wheels would probably be off the ground. :cheese:

Nice job TM!
quads said:
That's quite a stack of wood in the back of those trucks! I don't know how heavy Douglas Fir is, but green oak stacked like that in the back of my old truck would really make her squat! The front wheels would probably be off the ground. :cheese:
My old girl takes big green oak loads pretty good... I can hardly tell when she's loaded with softwood! :cheese:

Truck-load2.jpg
Truck-load.jpg

Doug fir or red fir is not pine at all. Pine is much softer and lower in btu. I didn't realize that the potatoe guys called doug fir red fir, are they really the same?

If that wood was green when cut then that last split load, if it completely filled the truck, was well over two tons and certainly well over the legal capacity of the truck. Not uncommon to see a truck overloaded that way though.

The wood I cut is usually standing dead which means it's about 1/2 to 2/3 seasoned when it gets loaded in the truck. The three trees we took yesterday were actually kills from a small fire a few years ago. Typically I have about 2500 pounds loaded in the back of the truck, sometimes a little more.

Its an old Dodge. It'll take it. I have been beating on Dodge trucks my whole life. They make great tree haulers.

Yep, that 3/4 ton Dodge hauls quite a load. My little 2wd Jeep pickup would tip over backwards!
Wet1 said:
quads said:
My old girl takes big green oak loads pretty good... I can hardly tell when she's loaded with softwood! :cheese:

I have a 14k GVW dump trailer and it pulls that overload like there's no tomorrow... Best truck I've ever owned!

Status
Not open for further replies.