Local (Regency) vs out of town (Lopi) dealer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JonH

Feb 15, 2022
Eastern NC
Hey guys I'm narrowing down my wood insert options and wanted to get the group's opinions:

1) My local sweep only deals with regency and has a 2450i (non-cat) that i really like. I like the look, the fact it sits out some but not too much to give extra heat and a cooktop in an emergency, the warranty, the reputation, the capabilities and the fact the regency guy is local and hes a sweep who's been doing this for over 30 years. He also has it in stock, i know we're past a majority of winter here in NC (it's 83 today lol) but it's reassuring knowing i can have it now and not worry about "what if some weird supply issue comes up and i can't get it this year?"
2)My wife prefers the look of the lopi large flush (non-cat) due to it looks more modern and she likes the big viewing glass, and actually I like the looks a lot too plus the fact its a 3cu ft firebox vs the regency 2.4 cu ft . But the Lopi guy isn't a sweep, he's a dealer/installer and I don't know if this matters? Also he's 1hr 15mins away in a bigger and busier city. The delivery date for his inserts has been pushed back twice now and is currently projected to be here by March 31st.

So I just wanted to ask for people's experiences and opinions with these 2 inserts and experiences with local dealers vs distant ones. They're both rated for my 2100 sq ft 2 story house, so I don't think there's much performance difference despite the Lopi's 3.0 vs regency's 2.3 box. If I had an issue I'm certain I can get my local guy way easier than the out of town guy. I've been texting back and forth with the local guy and hes been very responsive and patient. The out of town guy works in a much bigger city and is much busier and it typically takes him longer to answer my email. Probably a dumb question but I'm not afraid to ask: Do they usually charge service call fees to come troubleshoot new installs or do warranty work? If they do it's safe to assume the local guy will be cheaper in that regard. Also I'm thinking since I have an elevated and fairly deep brick hearth it's a good candidate for a unit that juts out some, unlike the guys with their units directly on the ground where a flush unit makes more sense for them because you'd have to walk around the jutted out unit.
This will be my 1st wood insert and I'm torn and looking for some guidance from the experienced. I'm tired of obsessing over this and ready to pick one. Thanks everyone.

Both are good inserts. In your climate zone the Lopi Medium Flush may also work. How open is the rest of the floorplan to the stove room?

Is heating during power outages a factor? If so, an insert that projects a bit into the room will heat better without the blower.

Both are good inserts. In your climate zone the Lopi Medium Flush may also work. How open is the rest of the floorplan to the stove room?

Is heating during power outages a factor? If so, an insert that projects a bit into the room will heat better without the blower.
The living room is a good sized 30x14 and a fairly open floor plan downstairs with many ceiling fans, the upstairs is just bedrooms and bathrooms and pretty closed off. We have 2 heatpumps so this doesn’t have to be our main source of heat but I’ve already got the urge (caveman genetics?) to try my best to use the insert as the only heat source I guess mainly for fun and a hobby. Luckily we rarely ever lose power in the winter, that’s usually caused by hurricanes for us. But then again part of me loves the idea of the 2450 in a power outage.
I wish I could just make a decision without over analyzing it to death

Sounds like there are several inserts that will work. Which part of NC is this? There's a big difference in heating need between the mountains and eastern NC.

North Eastern NC. Ironically I’ve been trying to convince my wife to let me get one since November, she finally caves in and now I can’t decide which to get.

I reached out to my nearest Blaze King dealer but he wouldn’t sell to me because I live outside of his service area. I told him he was the closest one and if I lived too far away for him to install, I’d hire my local sweep to do it, he said no and reiterated that he doesn’t sell to anyone outside his area. I was excited to check out a princess or Sirocco, but I guess I can’t buy one.

I have a Hamton 300i, that kind of looks like yours. If it's anything like mine, I don't think you'll be able to cook on that. Mine doesn't get hot enough, I think. I have to say though, as a rule, I don't cook. :)

I think that's the same ft3 box. Mine does a pretty job in the same size and type house in northern NY. It's always cooler upstairs, and we run the oil heat to supplement. You don't want to get too hot downstairs just to get the upstairs up to temp. Upstairs for us are bedrooms and the temp can go down most times.

I reached out to my nearest Blaze King dealer but he wouldn’t sell to me because I live outside of his service area. I told him he was the closest one and if I lived too far away for him to install, I’d hire my local sweep to do it, he said no and reiterated that he doesn’t sell to anyone outside his area. I was excited to check out a princess or Sirocco, but I guess I can’t buy one.
If you are in an area that belongs to another dealer, this could be so.

I have a Hamton 300i, that kind of looks like yours. If it's anything like mine, I don't think you'll be able to cook on that. Mine doesn't get hot enough, I think. I have to say though, as a rule, I don't cook.
Thank you, just to clarify I don’t plan to really cook on it, but in an emergency be able to heat stuff up on it. Do u love yours?

Yep. The Hampton line was the fancy one, with cast iron panels. I have no idea if it's even around anymore. It was by Regency.

If you are in an area that belongs to another dealer, this could be so.
I was so confused I actually emailed blaze king cooperate and surprisingly a rep got back to me quickly. He apologized and said that although frowned upon and unusual, some dealers won’t sell to people who live outside their service area for fear they’d have to help me out in a warranty claim situation.The rep also confirmed that was the closest one.

Reactions: Mt Bob
And yes, I just about managed to make it the sole source of heat one winter, but it big time wasn't worth the grief.
I load it up 2 times a day, maybe 3 if it's cold. I'm still on track to burn less than 4 cords.

Reactions: JonH
So should the fact one installer is local and one is 1hr 20mins away sway me? I feel more comfortable with getting the regency bc he's close. I have this worry that if i get the Lopi and it starts screwing up I'm up the creek without a paddle. Anyone have experience with a similar situation?

So should the fact one installer is local and one is 1hr 20mins away sway me? I feel more comfortable with getting the regency bc he's close. I have this worry that if i get the Lopi and it starts screwing up I'm up the creek without a paddle. Anyone have experience with a similar situation?
All I will say is that whichever unit you purchase, REGISTER THE WARRANTY AND KEEP YOUR RECIEPT AND RECORD THE SERIAL NUMBER. Yes, I was just yelling. Sorry.

Reactions: bholler
All I will say is that whichever unit you purchase, REGISTER THE WARRANTY AND KEEP YOUR RECIEPT AND RECORD THE SERIAL NUMBER. Yes, I was just yelling. Sorry.
Thanks, I read your story and I’m sorry that happened to you. Hopefully it will serve as a reminder for us all and maybe prevent it from happening to someone else too. I should be studying since I have the kids to bed, but instead I’m online at 11pm obsessing over whether I should get the 2450i vs ci2700 vs Lopi large flush. I can’t wait to just decide and get it over with

Reactions: davidmsem
Thanks, I read your story and I’m sorry that happened to you. Hopefully it will serve as a reminder for us all and maybe prevent it from happening to someone else too. I should be studying since I have the kids to bed, but instead I’m online at 11pm obsessing over whether I should get the 2450i vs ci2700 vs Lopi large flush. I can’t wait to just decide and get it over with
Thanks. Don't rush your decision.

Good thing is I found the registered warranty for just about everything $20 item I've ever purchased. (I did find many but just joking that I found the warranty for my blender but not my stove).

Don't rush. Enjoy the process.

David

Reactions: bholler
So personally would y’all pick the local regency or out of town Lopi? And tell me why please. I like them both and would love to hear something to help me decide.

So personally would y’all pick the local regency or out of town Lopi? And tell me why please. I like them both and would love to hear something to help me decide.
I would pick the unit I want. If you have to deal with warranty or other issues it's worth the drive and the time. Just my opinion. You may own this thing for 20 years, and you should love it. Pick what you want.

Whatever you get, I'd make sure you can load a typical 16" piece of firewood from front to back. That way is the best. :)

Reactions: JonH