Local wood cutting area has snow. (Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Got a State permit for a few cords to start on the 2013-14 wood. Drove to the area & found snow & a slick narrow barely maintained road.
I too the ATV but didn't use it today (taking ATV chains next trip). More of a test run trip to see what's what.
All the trees close to the road are in somebody's wood shed already.
Got 3 nice birch, 100' down hill from the road, One I had enough rope to grab the top & pull it up to the road with the PU.
The other 2 I took my time & carried up hill. Got my exercise for sure.
Close to 1/2 cord maybe. Walk around the area, found some better places to cut. I need more rope & some pulleys.
Few spots the ATV may work to skid them close to the road.
Carrying the rounds up hill convinced me, closer to the road some how, is a must.
Definitely keep me busy & I'll get plenty of exercise.
The one I drug to the road was a great solid tree. The base rounds were to heavy for me to lift & no knots for several rounds & split easy. Good looking wood.

Attachments

• 100_6719.jpg
    100_6719.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 555
  • 100_6721.jpg
    100_6721.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 561
  • 100_6718.jpg
    100_6718.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 573
bogydave said:
Got a State permit for a few cords to start on the 2013-14 wood. Drove to the area & found snow & a slick narrow barely maintained road.
I too the ATV but didn't use it today (taking ATV chains next trip). More of a test run trip to see what's what.
Got 3 nice birch, 100' down hill from the road, One I had enough rope to grab the top & pull it up to the road with the PU.
Close to 1/2 cord maybe. Walk around the area, found some better places to cut. I need more rope & some pulleys.
Carrying the rounds up hill convinced me, closer to the road some how, is a must.
The one I drug to the road was a great solid tree. The base rounds were to heavy for me to lift & no knots for several rounds & split easy. Good looking wood.
Dang. I wouldn't have gotten much done for looking at the beautiful landscape. Be careful with the ATV Bdave.

Nice pictures Dave. How much time will you have to work that land before the snow gets deeper? You may just want to clear a path for the atv on your next trip out. Maybe that will take some of the wear and tear off your body.

My Oslo heats my home said:
Nice pictures Dave. How much time will you have to work that land before the snow gets deeper? You may just want to clear a path for the atv on your next trip out. Maybe that will take some of the wear and tear off your body.

Thanks
I won't be carrying more than a few yards next time. If I can't get a rope or ATV to skid them close to the truck, they can won't be cut by me.
Much of the land is steep & many blown down trees so getting close may be an issue. I found a few spots I'll try to cut a trail & get the ATV close to. I chained it up tonight & will try again in a day or 2. I got some longer ropes made up too.
I quit also due to the winds picked up around 30, not goo for felling trees.
It warmed up some (40s) but not sure it'll melt the snow. We could get allot more any time. Maybe a snow machine will be easier in a month or so. I'll get a sled like Quads to tow :)
I don't mind the exercise but the bigger round are beyond what I can carry up hill any more. I have till next Oct to get the wood.
Slow & easy, I got a year.
Actually I was having fun until the wind picked up.

bogydave said:

Nice work bogydave, those hills make ya work a bit harder but well woth it.

zap

Nice going Dave. Seeing the pictures reminds me of what the woods usually look like when we start cutting. That is not long from now either.

we had some snow this past tue-but nothing that accumulated on the ground. won't be long now as the overnights are always in the 20's-30's.

SNOW!! I am so jealous. Can't happen soon enough for me.

Snow and a Hottie like Sarah . . . . North, 2 Alaska . . .

The good news with the light snow:
Easier skidding
Less dirt ground into logs.

For jacka**ing them out by hand, foot-deep snow is my limit.

Here's hoping Dave can get some significant work done before the snow buries his site.

Skidded today, ground was frozen, skidding OK until I hooded a pull to the 2" ball hitch I use for the log splitter, I ripped it right out of the wood, Someone out there yelled "Dumb Arse". I looked around & I was the only one there.
I knew better too. Back to the shop to beef it up (instead of a 2X4, I might try to glue a few layers of plywood). Put the ball in the ATV basket on the front rack then kicked the log, smart eh?.
Made another thread (with pics) of day 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.