locust burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
got a nice sized split of black locust from the brother in law. just had to give her a try.

Only problem was it was on nothing of a coal bed, basically right after a start up, stuff can be difficult to burn. last a good long time, not much of coal afterwards like Oak will, nice heat (if you can keep it going)

Stump_Branch said:
got a nice sized split of black locust from the brother in law. just had to give her a try.

Only problem was it was on nothing of a coal bed, basically right after a start up, stuff can be difficult to burn. last a good long time, not much of coal afterwards like Oak will, nice heat (if you can keep it going)
If oak seasoned as fast a Black Locust, oak would be my favorite.
However Locust seasons in <1/3 the time, therefore Locust gets my vote.

gzecc said:
Stump_Branch said:

Thats good locust and ash next season should put me in great shape.

If I had known what it was I would have sent more. I found a little honey hole of it

smokinjay said:
gzecc said:
Stump_Branch said:

Locust burns great on a good bed of oak coals.. Burns long and hot....

Ray

raybonz said:
smokinjay said:
gzecc said:
Stump_Branch said:

Ray

By the way it cuts and the weight of it,its got to be pretty good. Better than the monster silver maple I normally get stuck with in the middle of Jan. Dont that silver bad just dont idea for sub zero temps.

smokinjay said:
raybonz said:
smokinjay said:
gzecc said:
Stump_Branch said:

Ray

By the way it cuts and the weight of it,its got to be pretty good. Better than the monster silver maple I normally get stuck with in the middle of Jan. Dont that silver bad just dont idea for sub zero temps.

I like how fast silver maple seasons and it's a great firestarter too.. Locust is very heavy dense wood with loads of btu's and is excellent when burned correctly..

Ray

Sugar Maple and locust got me through this last stretch very nicely. Pure locust seems to coal up good which isn't so good when you are trying to keep the train running wide open for days.

I found that once it freezes its not too bad to split. Burns great, long and lots of really nice blue secondaries.

SolarAndWood said:
Sugar Maple and locust got me through this last stretch very nicely. Pure locust seems to coal up good which isn't so good when you are trying to keep the train running wide open for days.

+1 SolarandWood-- this past cold snap has been a killer. I brought in a load of locust for the first 0 °F night and life was good. The next 2 days I loaded with all oak, and man were the coals piling up. I had to remove several buckets of of coals over those frigid days. Man,I hate that!! My wood is all mixed in the shed, and I'll sort it in stacks by species for next year.

Remmy122 said:
If I had known what it was I would have sent more. I found a little honey hole of it

If i would have known I would have sent some seasoned Oak your way. of course I would expect lots of locust in return....

I will be searching hard for it around here. the fast seasoning time has me sold, the BTU's it puts out is almost a bonus as Oak is close and doesnt have the difficult to burn issue, or smell.

SolarAndWood said:

The Sugar Maple saved our _ss through that cold snap also, next year we'll have some nice ironwood to go along with the sugar maple for the coldest weather.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.