Locust rounds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got all the bl split going to stack it later.

Don't really have any other to sell, I was just curious about its value in this area. I have a fireplace so I don't have the need for as much wood as you stove owners but since I've been in this forum you guys have me wanting and insert and a wood stove. Thanks.
Now your talking ! It will get in your blood, keep the locust for the New wood stove, unless you get the $500

Reactions: albert1029
Yeah. Three years stacked. And two tons of pellets in the basement. My last wood cutting. Beyond that somebody is gonna dump split wood in the yard. A man has just gotta know his limitations.

Good that you do know your limitations. Wife and I were talking lately and we have no idea how much longer I can continue to cut. Still, she is wanting me to buy a small saw for limbing. Thinks the 290 is too heavy. Have to think about that one but on the other hand it sounds like she has faith that I can continue sawing for a few more years.

It is good too that you have pellets to go along with the firewood. May it keep you warm.

Don't really have any other to sell, I was just curious about its value in this area. I have a fireplace so I don't have the need for as much wood as you stove owners but since I've been in this forum you guys have me wanting and insert and a wood stove. Thanks.

And they you want to be 3 years ahead on the wood.

Going to get a load of locust tomorrow and was wondering if rounds season out good? Was going to leave some hole for night fires and long day fires for next winter.

Leave some whole but I'm not so sure of those hole logs for night fires. Maybe daytime fires? ;)

Reactions: corey21
Well it is stacked need to get out my chains to drag some more a big hill.

My firewood permit runs out in 4 days.

On left 1/2 cord mostly 2 yr Locust...on right fresh-cut long dead locust pretty low moisture (approx 18%) although still light colored...another pic of 1/2 cord of 1 1/2 - 2 yr locust...anybody have an idea what I can sell a half cord of this 2 yr stuff in Pgh area now and would the price differ say after Christmas into the colder weather? Thanks...oh yeah, it fell over once...

Maybe $125 on CL? or $300 with Steeler stickers on each split....yinz can sell ANYTHING up there with a steeler logo LOL...

Going to get a load of locust tomorrow and was wondering if rounds season out good? Was going to leave some hole for night fires and long day fires for next winter.

Love splitting locust. I keep a hatchet handy for the occasional stringy round. Congrats on the score!

On left 1/2 cord mostly 2 yr Locust...on right fresh-cut long dead locust pretty low moisture (approx 18%) although still light colored...another pic of 1/2 cord of 1 1/2 - 2 yr locust...anybody have an idea what I can sell a half cord of this 2 yr stuff in Pgh area now and would the price differ say after Christmas into the colder weather? Thanks...oh yeah, it fell over once...
Albert,
Looks like you are a bark down stacker. Any logic to why? Some folks do it up and others down.
Take care,
Tim

Locust split small.
Black Locust.jpg
More locust mixed with cherry.
Cherry & Locust Splits.jpg
Threw a couple splits in during a little cold snap we had 2 weeks ago and was very impressed with how it burned.

Albert,
Looks like you are a bark down stacker. Any logic to why? Some folks do it up and others down.
Take care,
Tim
just the way I started stacking...recently I saw in the forum where a couple of guys said to stack it bark side down...I finish off the stack with half-rounds bark side up on top and top cover in rain and snow...I wonder if it matters how you stack it...

Maybe $125 on CL? or $300 with Steeler stickers on each split....yinz can sell ANYTHING up there with a steeler logo LOL...
You are correct, Sir!

Reactions: osagebow
Now your talking ! It will get in your blood, keep the locust for the New wood stove, unless you get the $500
Yes...I'm looking for a small stove for the basement...back in the day some of my cajun relatives had wood stoves on the bayou in homes and fishing camps...a lot of oaks and pecan trees grew along the bayous that weren't too close to the gulf before man-made canals started salt water intrusion...my uncle cut down a huge pecan tree and I took about all of it, it made awesome firewood...

lol i put that bass pond in ill be clearing some trees. im waiting to head your way when it gets cold out, i want to see that woodstock cranking

just the way I started stacking...recently I saw in the forum where a couple of guys said to stack it bark side down...I finish off the stack with half-rounds bark side up on top and top cover in rain and snow...I wonder if it matters how you stack it...

Don't make a big difference either way. I mostly stack bark up just by habit but not all goes into the stack that way for sure. If you do have some bark that is loose, then bark down will tend to get wet but not so wet that the wood won't dry so long as you give it time. Another good reason to be 3 years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.