Locust rounds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corey21

Minister of Fire
Oct 28, 2010
Soutwest VA
Going to get a load of locust tomorrow and was wondering if rounds season out good? Was going to leave some hole for night fires and long day fires for next winter.

they will definatley take longer , id make bbig splits. im jealous i need a locust score , good job

Thank you the rounds are not real big.

If it's going in my woodpile, 6 dia inch or larger rounds get split for certain. If they are nice and straight, I'll split em in 1/2 right down to 4 inches across or so.

Once that wood is good and dry, I find no reason to save extra large logs to extend the burn. With good dry fuel, since the fire gets settled in so quickly, and you aren't wasting BTU's boiling off moisture, there is no need for the extra large size.

Also, I've found that locust splits the easiest as soon as the tree has been cut. Even when waiting only a week after blocking a tree up into rounds, I find they get more stringy.

1.5 years ago, I cut and split about 4 cord of locust in a few weeks time. That will be a big chunk next winter's fuel.

Hard to beat locust! Enjoy

pen

If it's going in my woodpile, 6 dia inch or larger rounds get split for certain. If they are nice and straight, I'll split em in 1/2 right down to 4 inches across or so.

Once that wood is good and dry, I find no reason to save extra large logs to extend the burn. With good dry fuel, since the fire gets settled in so quickly, and you aren't wasting BTU's boiling off moisture, there is no need for the extra large size.

Also, I've found that locust splits the easiest as soon as the tree has been cut. Even when waiting only a week after blocking a tree up into rounds, I find they get more stringy.

1.5 years ago, I cut and split about 4 cord of locust in a few weeks time. That will be a big chunk next winter's fuel.

pen

Thank you pen.

I will go with the 6 inch dia and larger needs split.

The bad news is these 2 trees have been cut down about 4 weeks ago

Thank you pen.

I will go with the 6 inch dia and larger needs split.

The bad news is these 2 trees have been cut down about 4 weeks ago

Naw, shouldn't be bad news. I'm not saying they were terrible to split up once they have some time on them, I simply noticed a difference when splitting up blocks one week from the next from the same tree.

You'll do fine. I'll take the toughest locust I've seen over the average beech I've had to deal with!

pen

Reactions: corey21
how does honey locust compare to black locust? people around me have black i have honey

I don't have locust here, every thing is white and red oak. But this year I stacked a bunch of limb wood from monster red and white oaks un-split larger than I ever have. One because I ain't feeling so well and two because they won't see a stove until 2015. At which time they will be split on the lil electric splitter before they come in the house. Since I have started burning E/W in the 30 NC I find that smaller splits are better.

Split'em.

I don't have locust here, every thing is white and red oak. But this year I stacked a bunch of limb wood from monster red and white oaks un-split larger than I ever have. One because I ain't feeling so well and two because they won't see a stove until 2015. At which time they will be split on the lil electric splitter before they come in the house. Since I have started burning E/W in the 30 NC I find that smaller splits are better.

Split'em.

how much stacked do you have? 3 years out...that's good

how much stacked do you have? 3 years out...that's good

Yeah. Three years stacked. And two tons of pellets in the basement. My last wood cutting. Beyond that somebody is gonna dump split wood in the yard. A man has just gotta know his limitations.

Yeah. Three years stacked. And two tons of pellets in the basement. My last wood cutting. Beyond that somebody is gonna dump split wood in the yard. A man has just gotta know his limitations.

Split hardwood is $225 a cord in this part of the country. As long as it's worth the money not to mess with it...especially if you're tired of messing with it.

Thank you all for your replies ill try and get pic or 2 when i get the tomorrow.
According to this chart http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Honey Locust, 23.7 MBTU per cord. Black Locust, 23.2 MBTU per cord. If you can tell the difference in heat output, you have a better thermometer than me :)

Both are excellent.

pen

Do not know what kind of locust they are.

Split'em.

I hate red oak because it takes so long to season.

I hate red oak because it takes so long to season.

I love it because it takes so long to burn. Well that and the fact that I have five acres of it, white oak and some Beech. I wouldn't mind it all being Beech. But them suckers just refuse to ever die.

Reactions: corey21
You'll like that locust Corey, give it 2 years you'll love it, 3 years it turns into coal ! Great Score.

Reactions: Gark and albert1029
On left 1/2 cord mostly 2 yr Locust...on right fresh-cut long dead locust pretty low moisture (approx 18%) although still light colored...another pic of 1/2 cord of 1 1/2 - 2 yr locust...anybody have an idea what I can sell a half cord of this 2 yr stuff in Pgh area now and would the price differ say after Christmas into the colder weather? Thanks...oh yeah, it fell over once...

Attachments

• IMAG1646a.JPG
    IMAG1646a.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMAG0589a.JPG
    IMAG0589a.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMAG0666a.JPG
    IMAG0666a.JPG
    416.1 KB · Views: 181
  • IMAG0977a.JPG
    IMAG0977a.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 157
albert1029, I would keep all Locust. If money is needed, do you have any other wood you could sell instead?

Been out splitting kindling so far today.

Going to get the locust in a bit.

albert1029, I would keep all Locust. If money is needed, do you have any other wood you could sell instead?
Don't really have any other to sell, I was just curious about its value in this area. I have a fireplace so I don't have the need for as much wood as you stove owners but since I've been in this forum you guys have me wanting an insert and a wood stove. Thanks.

Reactions: milleo
Well i got the first load home in 5 foot logs dang the stuff is rough on a chain.

Got a little maple tree too and some other small stuff got to cut all of it and split the locust the evening.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I like to split almost everything. Some rounds seem to season OK, but other rounds rot in my stacks. I have found mouldy oak, rotten cherry, and a few other types of rounds that didn't season well after three years in uncovered stacks. Almost all of the split wood is nicely seasoned and not rotting after three years in the stacks uncovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.