Locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, I have read some horror stories on here that Elm is a real difficult tree to split.
Take it all, Jan! Like free money.

I'm surprised that you are shying away from a little additional effort. Not characteristic of the Dutch.

Even if you didn't have the hydraulic splitter, you can take care of the elm, no issue.

Free heat! Better health from the exercise!

Reactions: heavy hammer
Take it all, just for the locust the others are not bad, but for the locust score I would take everything. It's all wood and it all burns, but the locust is the good stuff.

I wouldn't shy away from the elm. Splitting it can be temperature dependent too. Splitting warm elm can be a chore. I've found it can be far easier if its below freezing. Perfect weather seems to be well below freezing at night (teens), warmer during the day. That way it breaks easier, the strings seem to crack vs tear, yet I don't freeze in the process. As far as that goes, there is white oak I'm dealing with right now that is far more difficult than elm. Knarled, stringy, brittle all at the same time. Nasty stuff. The spitter goes full stroke and I still have to work at it. And no one I know would pass up white oak.

Last edited:
I wouldn't shy away from the elm. Splitting it can be temperature dependent too. Splitting warm elm can be a chore. I've found it can be far easier if its below freezing. Perfect weather seems to be well below freezing at night (teens), warmer during the day. That way it breaks easier, the strings seem to crack vs tear, yet I don't freeze in the process. As far as that goes, there is white oak I'm dealing with right now that is far more difficult than elm. Knarled, stringy, brittle all at the same time. Nasty stuff. The spitter goes full stroke and I still have to work at it. And no one I know would pass up white oak.
White oak can be a pain but its excellant fire wood, I always split it with a hatchet by my side.