Log peeler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I've been thinking about peeling all of my timber after limbing but before I buck or mill them. I've seen chainsaw attachments that have a drum with knives on it, they seem effective. The other option I've seen is a cutting wheel for an angle grinder. I would rather have a gas operated tool since I don't have anywhere to plug that tool in and I don't want to use a generator.

Does anyone have experience with the log peeling tools with the drum? I was thinking about getting the timber tuff brand and a cheap chainsaw from Amazon with an 18" bar. I would rather not use my 460 for this task as I need it for bucking and felling. My limbing saw is far too small for this task.

U cutting the wood right away or can u wait 6 months to a year? I let ours sit then the next year the bark falls off. I can do a log in about 5 min with a pulaski. It just comes off in huge sheets

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We had three once in hundred year wind storms in 2014 and 1 more in 2015. To help with limbs and stumps I called in guy with one of these. Grinds the branches and most of the bark right off. $135 hour. 20 trees 1st one, got it all cleaned up and bucked up and stacked. 2nd Windstorm hit with 100+ trees.
IMG_1076.JPG

Reactions: MissMac
We had three once in hundred year wind storms in 2014 and 1 more in 2015. To help with limbs and stumps I called in guy with one of these. Grinds the branches and most of the bark right off. $135 hour. 20 trees 1st one, got it all cleaned up and bucked up and stacked. 2nd Windstorm hit with 100+ trees. View attachment 242660

Wow, that's a hell of a rig! I don't need that kind of volume.

Lets hope no Once in Hundred Year storm ever again. I finally got rid of the rest of the half trees last year and stumps. Ended up with 10 cord of wood. Sold Wood Stove and got pellet stove in May. Got Tired of Bitching about Ash and Smoke. Gave it all away to her Niece and Her Husband. I found it lots easier moving pellets this year. Not cheaper. I spent for 5 tons (200x5) plus delivery. Used about 4.2T. So 1k per year we were saving with Wood.

The log house builder that built my house has a lot of experience with peeling logs.
He dosn't use the one that is on the end of your saw bar,they suck
Green trees if you cut them at the right time a shovel will work great.His favorite tool is a draw knief.
If he has trees that were cut dead.or green ones cut at the wrong time with bark that is tight he uses an electric planer.A heavy duty hand held model.

Why take off the bark? If I want to make something like a decorate ladder I will use a draw knife for a green cut small tree. It's a pain even for small volume.