Log Splitter auto retract not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
27 Ton Troy Bilt splitter - 13 years old. Today the splitter stopped auto retracting properly but just for the first 20 minutes of operation. Once warmed up it auto-retracted flawlessly.

For the first 20 minutes of operation (ambient air temp 60 F), the piston would reverse travel for about 1" and then stop. I would again manually reverse it, let go of the lever, and it would stop again before fully retracting.

Something is probably up with the control valve but it worked fine after a while, and it was only an intermittent problem for the first 20 minutes. Fluid and filter have been changed per manual. The other thing I can add is the splittler did not get much use, if at all for the past 2 years. It worked fine (yesterday) after the 2 year rest but today the problem started. Looking for suggestions.

Last edited:
Chances are the spool were the detent ball locks in is getting worn. After it runs a while the oil is warm enough the pressure is running lower it stays locked in. Some of the control valves you can take them apart turn the spool a half of turn and put it back together and it will work again fine. May just be time to replace the control valve and pipe in a gauge while you at it. A gauge is nice so you can see how the system is operating. Just like now you could see at what pressure its kicking out.

That rings a bell, I think I remember some old threads on this subject now that you mention the trick to turn the spool half turn. Thanks, know I kow what to search for.

Fortunately the splitter runs good otherwise so I can keep splitting.
I swear gas Stabil helps, after sitting so long it still runs great.