Splitter Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
While running my splitter this weekend, I noticed that the fill plug on the tank had a lot of hydraulic oil shooting out of the breather hole. It only happens when the ram is fully retracted (when it hits the end and auto stops). I took the plug off and ran it like that. When the ram hit the end, oil would shoot out but then be fine. This isn't the first time I've used it and have a few cords run through it.

My splitter has a tank that's a rectangular box which has the wheels on either end. A lot of horizontal/vertical splitters are like that. The oil fill/vent is on one end. If the splitter is on uneven ground with the vent side lower, fluid can come out. It does not take much of a tilt to do it.

It really should have a tall narrow tank, but it's cheaper to make this way.

My splitter has a tank that's a rectangular box which has the wheels on either end. A lot of horizontal/vertical splitters are like that. The oil fill/vent is on one end. If the splitter is on uneven ground with the vent side lower, fluid can come out. It does not take much of a tilt to do it.

It really should have a tall narrow tank, but it's cheaper to make this way.
Now that yo say that, it was tilted with the vent side down hill. I don't think I have used it on an angle before like that. I would assume that explains everything then. Thanks for the quick responses.