Log splitter cycle time Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
The Troy Bilt log splitter has a slow cycle time, something like 19seconds, but when I'm not out moving another round or perhaps finishing off the split, I will typically stop the wedge just past the point where I can fit another log in. Since I don't have to hold the lever up when returning the wedge, I can go grab another piece to split and by the time I have it on the block, I can reverse the wedge without waiting it to return to it's idle position. Is this bad? Will I overheat the hyd. oil or something if I do this constantly??

Jay

Stopping the wedge at any point other than full return does not cause over heating of the hydraulic fluid. When the control valve is in the neutral position the fluid simply circulates regardless of ram position.

triptester said:
Stopping the wedge at any point other than full return does not cause over heating of the hydraulic fluid. When the control valve is in the neutral position the fluid simply circulates regardless of ram position.

Well, that's good, because most of the time, the slow cycle time is great because when the wedge is returning, I have just enough time to toss the splits and grab another chunk by the time the wedge is going to clear the chunk's height. If the cycle time was faster, I'd have to be really fast. After a bit, I get into a really good rhythm such that there is hardly any downtime except when trying to roll another huge round over to the splitter.

Jay

Yep, not a problem. That's how I run my splitter also, it keeps things moving much quicker.

Have you guys had any problem with the lever not holding on the return?
I've been finding that I have to push the lever for a little while before it catches, most times.
I've been running my engine at a reduced speed and it seems to split most everything, albeit a slower I guess.

Jay, how is using the splitter in the vertical position for you?
I've been putting off splitting the real big ones and using the splitter in the horizontal position.
Alas, hurt my shoulder some moving those rounds around-age+lack of condition+too long working.
I'm wondering how much I'm saving as I'm lugging things around, and I'm thinking, "probably not much". :)

velvetfoot said:
Have you guys had any problem with the lever not holding on the return?
I've been finding that I have to push the lever for a little while before it catches, most times.
I've been running my engine at a reduced speed and it seems to split most everything, albeit a slower I guess.

When the control lever won't stay engaged in the up position it is usually caused by air in the system. The leak is probably letting air into it.

On your other post about vertical vs. horizontal, in twenty years of use I have never split a log in the horizontal position. For the life of me I cannot figure out why anybody would want to pick the things up and set them on the splitter. I just sit on my stool and roll'em up, stand'em up and split'em up in the vertical position. In fact I line up the rounds headed downhill to the splitter and can do twenty to twenty five without ever getting up off of the stool.

Makes it easier to keep the beer handy.

I agree with BB, In the 2+ cords that I have split, I have not ever split one in the horizontal position. Doesn't seem fast, especially by myself, and doesn't seem easy, especially by myself. I will store the splitter in the horizontal position but I always move it to the vertical to split. What also helps is in the humongous rounds that I have been splitting, if the wedge doesn't split the round completely, with the round still in the vertical position, I can easily get at it with my splitting maul right then and there.

I've never had a problem with the lever's auto-return feature kicking out of reverse.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.