Log splitter question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

STS

Mar 4, 2020
IL
My first post,

I have a speeco splitter with vertical shaft motor/pump . Pump sits below it at about bottom of a oil tank level. I would like to change the motor on it and put one with horizontal shaft but ... the pump would sit about 4" above hydraulic oil tank.
Question:,
1. Would it be OK if the pump is higher then oil tank?
2. On cold start, would it have oil in it or run dry for few seconds?
3. Any issues with cavitation etc?

Thank you.

1 NO
2 it would by dry and likely self destruct
3 pump intake has to be at or below supply port of tank to pump. your suggestion= serious damage to pump.
4 return line must be below the lowest fill level or air will be mixed with oil causing cavatation in pump. air compresses- so loss of hydraulic force.
5 you would need a seperate lift pump to supply the splitter pump. which could belocated in the tank if electrically powered otherwise still need gravational flow.

Last edited:
Reactions: triptester
Is there something different about a Speeco pump vs. something like this one?
1583350703785.png

Darn it, that was my taught but just wanted to be sure.
Another question,
In order for the other engine/pump to be mounted horizontally, I would need to remove existing mounting plate and weld another to the bottom of the tank. Is it possible to weld the plate to the bottom of the tank? I'd empty hydraulic fluid of course but the residue would be there, can it catch on fire etc, I assume its 1/8" thick steel and plate would be 1/2".

On my splitter the pump is above the tank.

1 NO
2 it would by dry and likely self destruct
3 pump intake has to be at or below supply port of tank to pump. your suggestion= serious damage to pump.
4 return line must be below the lowest fill level or air will be mixed with oil causing cavatation in pump. air compresses- so loss of hydraulic force.
5 you would need a seperate lift pump to supply the splitter pump. which could belocated in the tank if electrically powered otherwise still need gravational flow.
I don't agree with anything in this post

Reactions: kevin j
I agree with you salecker. I think if the OP did a little more research and not opt to take the first reply as fact, he will be very surprised at the results.

I did talked to Haldex Co. and several others. Their techs all said same thing, pumps can be installed above the oil tanks, question is how high - been told 18" would be the limit. The pumps have oil residue in them and will not go bad for a split second till oil gets fully sucked into them. They said not to have more then 1, 90 deg band in the suction line but all agreed that flooded pump set up ( pump at the level of oil tank) is the best.
You take it for what is worth but I have decided to keep pump flooded and go with new vertical shaft motor.
BTW, Concentric Co. ( maker of most log splitter pumps) on the other hand NEVER called me back.

4 inches above is nothing.
They don’t ‘drain back’ unless there is an air leak. Go with what you prefer or is easier, but don’t worry about it if you move pump up.

Well, after removing old vertical motor and trying horizontal shaft one that I have, distance between pump and oil level would be 10" and not 4" as I estimated and that was a no no for me, 4" would be acceptable. I picked up a new GXV390 motor today, it's all installed and almost ready to go. Motor was expensive but I do love Honda engines, I think they are the best. Once I'm done with everything, I'll post some picks.