Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to carry water for Northern Tool, but I am very satisfied with the splitter I bought from them. Check out this link http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316905_200316905

This is the same design I bought locally, but with a Honda 5.5. I like the wedge design. It's not as wide as some and seems to enter the rounds easier. I also like the way the wedge is mounted to a plate that rides on (around) the I-beam. The channels that the wedge rides in on some designs just seem to clog up with debris. The log cradle is also a very nice feature when splitting horizontally. The automatic throttle control increases power as you split and the automatic return is a time saver. Cycle time is good.

The only drawback I can see with any of these splitters is in transporting them. I have towed mine a couple of times and although it is designed with that in mind, I'm not too sure. It seems to spend more time bouncing and flying just above the road behind my truck than actually rolling along. I just keep thinking that eventually something has to crack or bounce off. Since the wheels are attached to (incorporated in) the hydraulic tank on mine, I can see the tank cracking at that mounting point. Unfortunately, all the splitters I looked at shared this problem.

Just my .02, hope it helps.

I have towed mine a couple of times and although it is designed with that in mind, I’m not too sure. It seems to spend more time bouncing and flying just above the road behind my truck than actually rolling along.
I know on mine it says somewhere in the manual to not tow them over 45mph. That might be because of the bouncing. One thing I try to do is where I split I can leave the splitter out there if I know I will be back before to long. I just cable it down with a lock. Not a crime area/rural farm and cover it with a tarp. I of course do not display out on the front lawn though. At least that way I do not have to pull it back -n-forth.

Mr. Foot,

I have the huskie splitter and the ram is not difficult to to tilt at all. I operate the splitter from ether side when horizontal with out a problem. Like others mentioned I would be concerned about mail ordering such an item, on another note though I would not hesitate to order a soapstone stove from Woodstock though.

I have split a tremendous amount fo wood with the mine. It is a 5.5 hp briggs with the 20 ton ram. I really do not see the need for anything bigger for me. We heat soley by wood so I split a lot. 24 diameter sections seem to be no problem at all. Mine will split peices bigger than I should be handling so a 30 ton for sure would putting me into trouble for lifting more than ones body was ever intended to.

When I bought the splitter it was ready to go. All fluids were in it. Except gas.

Mr. Foot,

Wow. Thank you for the exhaustive leg work. That helps. I see a real advantage in the axle arrangement in the HF unit over the others. But the ergonomics seem to be lacking. I called every HF withing reasonable distance from my SE PA home, hoping to look at the 30 ton, and none of them carry the splitters. So, it's a bit of a quandry for me, buying sight unseen. And I know that HF's quality isn't always that good. I just wish that I could talk to someone who has actually USED the 30 ton!
From what everyone is saying, a 20 ton will be sufficient, so I'm now leaning towards buying local, where I can actually see the unit that I'm buying, and take it back if It has problems.

-Mr. Road

There is no full-length axle on the HF unit. Two stub axles are welded to a pan. The Northern Hydraulics unit above appears to have all the 'stuff' on one side which seems like a good thing from an operator point of view. I think on the huskie splitter the operating handle was angled somewhat so it would be accessible from both sides, but the HF's is not.

The siren song is strong: 30 tons, 9 horsepower, $999

OK, you kick the tires and let me know how it is!
Seriously, I'm going to expand my HF search area and go a bit farther afeild to see if a store has one of these in stock. It IS very tempting. All the mechanicals seem to be quality, but I have to remember what my past experience with HF equipment is: Spotty.
Heck, I guess that you can always move the copntrols if need be, and weld a deflector sheild next to the engine to keep the splits off of it.

Two other things I just remembered:
-The mtd's I believe had a cradle for the log on the rail, the HF did not.
-The arboristsite link above mentions aluminums spacers for the ram from Tractor Supply, which seems like it could be a good idea.

I just spoke to an older gent at a HF store. He said that they did not carry the gas-powered splitters, and directed me to TSC. Said that the Huskee models were very nice. He's used one and liked it alot. When I told him that I'd looked at the Huskees, and wanted to see the the HF, he told me that he had the 24 ton HF and loved it. No problems with splits falling on the engine, ergonomics are good, and that he's towed it extensively and rented it out without a hitch over the past two years.
Hmmm.
If the cylinder really IS 5", I might be placing an order...

In looking at the manual, http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/91000-91999/91840.pdf , there sure does seem to be a difference between the two cylinders. There are specs for the 22/24 tonners and another, larger one for the 30 ton. In fact, seal 01-14 has a 115 (I assume mm) for the lower power units, which translates to like 4.5" and 127mm (5") for the 30 tonner.

Well, hurry up and order one and try it out so that i can see if I like it! ;-)

It's been ordered. Now scheduled to ship 12/1. Date might slip though in my opinion.
I was getting cold feet about the whole thing though.

Do they ding your card right off the bat, or charge you when it's shipped?

w

When it is shipped. I can still cancel.
I went to a link referenced somewhere else, http://www.robinamerica.com/engines/detail.lasso?mdl=EX27 , on the engine used.
Apparently the chain drive is for the overhead cam.
I am impressed with the Robin website. Manuals freely available in pdf form.
Has an auto. compression release for easier starting.
Supposedly quiet with the OHC and a quiet muffler.
What's interesting to me is that just like the high-end B&S Vanguard engine I rebuilt, the connecting rod bearings are not babbitted (not sure if I have right terminology), ie, they are not replaceable - you need a new connecting rod.

edit: The Vanguard and Robin both have crank roller bearings.

Treat it right and that may never be a problem. I wonder if you can run synthetic in this engine right away or if it is better to wait a few hours of run time for it to settle in.

What’s interesting to me is that just like the high-end B&S Vanguard engine I rebuilt, the connecting rod bearings are not babbitted (not sure if I have right terminology), ie, they are not replaceable - you need a new connecting rod.

This is common build of many small engines. Even the highend water cooled JD engines on lawn tractors have non-servicable rods.

MrGriz said:
Do you have the four-way splitting wedge?... Thinking about buying one of those babies myself next year…

I do not have the four-way wedge. I have never used a splitter with a four way, but I can't imagine that it would work very well with large rounds. I like being able to split large rounds in half and then work my way across the half. I'm not sure I could do that with the four way. I would highly recommend this splitter. I looked at so many before selecting this one and think it was a good move.

Northern Tools log splitters #1108, 1109 and 1114 has the 4-way split option. 1109 and 1114 should be more than powerful enough to handle the task and will save time as well.

OK, well I'm not sure that adds anything to the equation except that people postulated that the valve on the HF 30-ton might be in an inconvienient place. And that people really liked their SpeeCo units. You can be sure that if i buy the HF splitter, I will post a full write-up!

Me too, although I'll probably get it in the middle of winter and it'll likely be stored behind the snowblowers.

velvetfoot said:
In looking at the manual, http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/91000-91999/91840.pdf , there sure does seem to be a difference between the two cylinders. There are specs for the 22/24 tonners and another, larger one for the 30 ton. In fact, seal 01-14 has a 115 (I assume mm) for the lower power units, which translates to like 4.5" and 127mm (5") for the 30 tonner.

I'm looking at that manual, and I see what you are talking about. There are also specs on p.2 that list the cylinder diameter at 4.5". Posibly a misprint, but how do I know? Plus, you need to pack the bearings on the wheels yourself, and they do not include a hand packer (about $20 shipped for the Lisle packer http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/LIS-34550.html).

This looks like a beast of a splitter. Weighs 640#. 9hp Robin engine. 16gpm pump. I'm still tempted.

They told me that the weight is wrong. I think they said it's a tad under 600. Who knows if that's 'as shipped' or what. The construction, I think, is the same as the 24. How much more can a bigger cylinder and pump weigh?

Thanks for the link on the packer. I might check NAPA on that. I don't know if you've seen that other thread I started, but you also have to buy hydraulic fluid; they told me the type wasn't critical just as long as it's clean. I am going to go with AW-32, I think.

Just think, we'd have a 'users group', LOL.

Jeez, I went to Harbor Freight today, Black Friday, to get a trailer dolly (inflatable tires/$40 on sale) and it was a zoo! The aisles were choked with people.

It's Tuesday.
Do you know where your splitter is? ;-)

:)
I am at work waiting for the call from Yellow Freight; they'll give me a 30 minute leadtime which should just barely be enough for me to zip on home.
It should be an adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.