Log Splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure..looking at them myself. I was looking at the Sears 27 ton Craftsman job. Good post and topic!

We have a 25 ton Speeco. $1k from Farm and Fleet. Also sold as Huskee. For the money I doubt you can do better. It is built tough. We've split about 10 cords so far this year with it and couldn't be happier. All hardwood, oak, maple, hickory, hackberry, you name it up to 38" rounds, crotches and all, nothing has stopped it yet.

I got a 35 ton splitter from TSC and the only thing that slows it down is a empty gas tank.

A old stringy elm with a crotch in it will slow it down but won't stop it.

yes, those Husky splitters from TSC are the best money can buy right now. The 22 Ton that they sell is damn nice. No need for the 28 ton or whatever it is

I'd take the Speeco/TSCHuskee over any of the other low-cost machines out there. It is the splitter to buy unless you want to get up into the Timberwolf/Iron&Oak;/ALS/etc. end of the price spectrum. If I hadn't been able to score my Timberwolf, new w/ a 4-way wedge, for the cost of a TSCHuskee, I'd have a TSCHuskee sitting in my garage.

I have the TW-5, which do you have?

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
Not sure..looking at them myself. I was looking at the Sears 27 ton Craftsman job. Good post and topic!

ROTF......I thinks your looking in the wrong place? :)

I purchased a 27 ton with a honda engine from Lows and it is a great splitter. Manufactured by the same company as the ones from TSC but at Lows I got a year no interest and no payments. Couldn't beat that in my book. Lots of wood already split with it so far and more to come.

Carl said:
FIREFIGHTER29 said:

I purchased a 27 ton with a honda engine from Lows and it is a great splitter. Manufactured by the same company as the ones from TSC but at Lows I got a year no interest and no payments. Couldn't beat that in my book. Lots of wood already split with it so far and more to come.

Looks that way Carl. I would bet they all come out of the same factory. The one from Sears and the ones from Lowes all look exactly the same with different pant and different engines??? I will have to check out the local TSC.

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
Carl said:
FIREFIGHTER29 said:

Looks that way Carl. I would bet they all come out of the same factory. The one from Sears and the ones from Lowes all look exactly the same with different pant and different engines??? I will have to check out the local TSC.

TSC has the best prices and their 22 ton splitter works well from what I hear. The good thing about TSC is they carry parts in stock so you can get them quickly. I asked them about parts for the Troy built I purchased and they said they were the same and would fit. Wondered why I didn't buy from them but understood and still very friendly and helpful to me.

the lowes are not Husky brand though, what are they?

thats what I thought. I have a MTD yardMan splitter, older one. 31 ton. They are good splitters, but, if I were to buy one right now, hands down I would buy one from TSC the Husky. I ahve looked them over real good and they are definatly the heaviest, most well built of any of those big box splitters

"Husky "splitters in the big box stores are made by MTD. The "Huskee" splitters sold at TSC are built by Speeco. MTD also makes splitters for White ,Cub Cadet, Yardman, TroyBuilt, Craftsman, and a few others.

I have the 22 ton speedco...same as the husky, run it and then when broke in for a few hours run multi weight mobile 1 if you are in a cold climate...also run trans fluid type in the splitter and you can use is in the winter and summer. I have run mine for 3-4 years and 6 cords a year and not a hickup. Best part is you can split at your convienience when you own it. Fleet farm had it on sale, open a ccard to get 10% off and when I went to pay they asked if I wanted to take advantage of the 6 months free financing...ah yeah!!!

Well I watched the 3 videos on the 'superspliter' and am very impressed with that machine. Wow, talk about making production...that does 10x the splitting per hour as mine does. And that production table is pretty handy too.

triptester said:
"Husky "splitters in the big box stores are made by MTD. The "Huskee" splitters sold at TSC are built by Speeco. MTD also makes splitters for White ,Cub Cadet, Yardman, TroyBuilt, Craftsman, and a few others.

I'm glad you cleared that up. I was confused. I didn't think the big box stores sold any of the Speeco(Huskee) splitters and there really is no comparison. If you look at the MTD side by side with the Speeco, Speeco wins hands-down.

That SupahSplittah looks fast, but dangerous. With my splitter- I have time to adjust, move, extricate my hand... when I'm as tired as I get processing wood- I might make a mistake with this thing and lose some digits or worse!

Maybe for the less accident prone.

Yeah that Supersplit looks great for those guys with arms the size of my legs. That is way to much lifting of the wood fer this old boy. While my poor old slow splitter is returning the ram, splits are getting tossed right beside the pile ready to stack. Get to be over sixty and economy of motion and the least number of times you lift the dang wood gets high up there on the list.

From woods to stove it is lifted into the trailer, off the trailer, up to the splitter, from the splitter to the stacks, onto the stacks and then hauled into the house. Do the math on how much total weight per cord of hardwood you lift in that process.

Thoreau said the wood warms you twice. He must have had hired help.

BrotherBart said:
Yeah that Supersplit looks great for those guys with arms the size of my legs. That is way to much lifting of the wood fer this old boy. While my poor old slow splitter is returning the ram, splits are getting tossed right beside the pile ready to stack. Get to be over sixty and economy of motion and the least number of times you lift the dang wood gets high up there on the list.

From woods to stove it is lifted into the trailer, off the trailer, up to the splitter, from the splitter to the stacks, onto the stacks and then hauled into the house. Do the math on how much total weight per cord of hardwood you lift in that process.

Thoreau said the wood warms you twice. He must have had hired help.

Yep, getting and burning wood warms you plenty but well worth the effort. The two trailor loads I got I split right off the trailer before I went back for the second load. This won't work if you have to go right back for the second load.

I have to be different.
I have a splitter with no engine- 3 point mount & 2 hydraulic hoses- don't know the man.
I tried to sell it 2 years ago & no one wanted it. Now I'm glad I kept it, I'm looking at 30+ cord on the ground right now & an EKO due in next month.
The only problem is if I want to use the bucket loader, I have to stop splitting. When we last used it, we left it on the ground- less lifting
I'm fortunate to have a 17 yr old & a 20 yr old son who want to splt wood.

BTW Happy Fathers Day

As for Howitzers: A friend of mine has a wood processor that can be operated by 1 person- puts a cord on the truck in 40 minutes hydraulically driven 30" chain.
Another friend has a wood processor with a 48" saw blade- takes three men to operate. One runs the machine, One to feed it, and one to move the trucks. It puts a cord of wood on the truck in less than 10 minutes. He does 1200-1500 cords /year.
I think both of these guys will do very well this year

I've used a Supersplit - nice machines for small stuff, don't know how they'd be for bigger wood. Definitely a fast cycle, but not so much so as to be a safety hazard - I'd say 1-2 seconds out, 1 second back in. Never found it a problem to keep the hands out of the way. You do have to lift everything up onto the table, which is a major disadvantage far as I'm concerned - I want a splitter that can be run in vertical mode so all I have to do is horse the round over to the machine and drop it, no lifting big rounds.

The Supersplit is good if you are trying to get a lot of production, and your raw material is relatively small, but if I could only have one splitter, and had to choose between a Supersplit and a hydraulic, I'd take the hydraulic, no problem...

Gooserider

I am sure its good if your only splitting the tops of trees and such. Doubt it would be much good for the big thick trunks and knuckle pieces....

Status
Not open for further replies.