Log Splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So who has actually used the 35 Ton 12.5 HP splitter from Tractor Supply.

We had a bad storm come through Detroit and My Dad & Neighbor lost 18 huge trees between the 2 of them. Well guess who ended up with the wood?

My buddy and I figured that when its all said in done I'm looking at about 10 full cords at least. Mostly Cherry,White Oak,Locust, and some white birch.

Anyway time for a splitter!

Attachments

• l_9d62efedfa70921d8d899cac22dbf74f.jpg
    l_9d62efedfa70921d8d899cac22dbf74f.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 743
  • l_856fa5db1a8513359ff64c61a0b031e7.jpg
    l_856fa5db1a8513359ff64c61a0b031e7.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 658
  • l_25fb5274539bbcc8baf3952fa3f11eef.jpg
    l_25fb5274539bbcc8baf3952fa3f11eef.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 648
Well I just got the Speeco (tractor supply Huskee) 22 ton splitter today. So far I got into some red oak rounds about 26 or 27 inch. It was a fight and eventually the splitter won. Limited use this morning prior to having to go into work and I have to say I am a little disappointed. I will have to put this thing through some more work and I will let you guys know my full feelings on it. But at this point out of five stars I will have to rate it at about 3.75.

I purchased a Speeco 22 ton from TSC earlier this year. I finally changed the engine oil last week and split three cords of green hickory this weekend. I have about 16 cords threw the machine and it has worked flawlessly. I'm sure a Honda engine would have been a nice option but I could easily replace the B&S;if it fails.

"Hiram Maxim" date="1214182669"]So who has actually used the 35 Ton 12.5 HP splitter from Tractor Supply.

I have one and got your PM this morning (on my work computer). I've split 7-8+ cords a year for 7 years with it and i've got no complaints. I've yet to come across a bit of wood it won't split and judging by the pics it'll chew up those little trees (at least the one's I can see). It's pretty uniqe from some of the older splitters i've run....the engine barely get's into the governer when splitting...i've still not figured that out. I don't know if that how they all are now but that's a lot easier on an engine.

So did you get it tonight??. Like I said, MAKE SURE THE FLUIDS ARE TOPPED OFF and give the critical fasteners the once over. Give some feedback as time permits.

You need to work a log splitter to seat the rings. Mine actually had loose head bolts. They just don't hire quality chineses children nowadays!!! Seriously work it and when it is set change it to synthetic, mine runs like a champ!!!

burntime said:
You need to work a log splitter to seat the rings. Mine actually had loose head bolts. They just don't hire quality chineses children nowadays!!! Seriously work it and when it is set change it to synthetic, mine runs like a champ!!!

What kind and size of wood splitter are you using?

I can't afford 1G splitters. What can I get for around $300? Electric or manual.

We have the 25 ton w/ 10.5 HP Briggs and I love it. As I have stated before, we've put through about 11 cords of oak, hickory, hackberry, sugar maple and other hardwoods, a lot of it in excess of 30" in diameter and it has been flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.